Stuck Fermentation on Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roush

Reaction score
I've got a mini-mash Saison in my primary right now that's been there for 12 days. The OG was 1.071, and the SG for the past 4 days has been 1.021. The recipe I used says to ferment down to 1.013 FG, but it doesn't seem to be moving. The yeast I used is WLP565 Belgian Saison. It's been fermenting at about 75 degrees, and I'll try to up the temperature a bit over the next few days.

I'm brewing a golden ale on Sunday, and just made a starter with WLP001 California Ale yeast. Should I just go ahead and move the Saison to the secondary and not worry about it, or could I use a small amount from the starter to get my fermentation going again? Would that give me some weird flavors? Thanks in advance.

Moving it to secondary is not going to help your FG... If it were me, I would boil up .25 - .5 lb of sugar and some yeast nutrient in 8oz of water, cool it, and add it to the fermenter. It should take back off, and hopefully take some of the residual sugars with it. 75 should be plenty warm, but this is a saison, so if you can get it up to 80, go for it. I just did this with an IPA that I ended up mashing a little high, and I got 4 points after it being stuck at 1.018 for 2 weeks.

Did you make a starter for the saison?

Yes, I did make a starter. I'll order some yeast nutrient and do what you said. Thanks for your help.

I had the same problem and simply moved my primary up on my bottling platform and bam! Fermentation started up after being stuck for over a week at 1024. Got down to 1016 in a few days. Shake it up, shock it with a higher temperature (maybe 80F) and you might have some luck. I fermented mine in the mid 80s and its fantastic so don't worry about the temp. Good luck!!

I kind of have the same issue with a Belgian Trippel I'm doing. I brewed it almost 3 weeks ago and it has been stuck at 1.031 (7.8% Brix) since 3 days after pitching. The O.G. was 1.062 (15.4% Brix). I put a second starter of yeast in and still no change. The beer doesn't taste bad, it is a LITTLE sweet but not terrible.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with my refractometer?

Here's what you do:

Bump up the temps to 80-85 degrees, rouse the yeast by swirling the carboy (not shaking), and wait 2 more weeks. This yeast strain should come back re-awaken after a few weeks of aging at warm temps. At week 4 add 2 packages of champagne yeast to get it extra dry as per the style.

That yeast can often be balky and have trouble finishing it out. Best plan is just to keep it where it is, keep it warm and maybe swirl the fermenter now and then to try to rouse the yeast back into suspension.

Or... you can pick up a pack of Wyeast 3711 and pitch a starter of that. That should dry it right out quick.

Roush, I followed Steveo's advice on mine and I'm glad to say that I got airlock activity within 8 hours. I'm going to give it another day or so to finish up and see how it worked.

Latest posts

Back