What's on tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
So I know that there are a vast number of people here with kegerators. I am geting one soon and trying to prepare accordingly. I'm curious what others keep on tap. Do you have a "guideline" that you follow for what you have in kegs, or do you just wing it? Like do you always have an IPA and a lager, or a hoppy beer and a malty beer? What do you all go by? Thanks!

I do not have a keggerator, but if I did this is what I would keep on tap.

IPA
Stout
Lagar
Fruit beer (not for me, for SWMBO and her friends)

I'm a bit of a hophead... I have a hoppy pale ale, a lawnmower american wheat, and another wheat that is carbing up. I usually try to keep at least two taps with something "regular." One tap can be experimental (imperial pumpkin, 120, lambic, etc, etc.)

What I am in the mood for, and whatever is ready are the primary guidelines. I keep at least one wheat on tap, the rest is a mix.

Right now:

Amber Lager (almost gone)
Cream Ale
Light Lager
Dunkel Weiss
Cherry Wheat

Alt (aging in the back)

Next up:

Small Amber Ale
Blond Ale
Bock
Hefe

:mug:

i like a basic stout
a blonde ale (like biermunchers centennial)
an ipa
and then something that rotates between pales, lagers, and anything else i get wild hair to brew and then keg

Only three taps...all dry currently... I want to keep a stout, a basic pale ale, and an ipa on at all times though

gotta work on that

I want two totally different beers at all times, so I'll do a hoppy and a malty.

Like an IPA and a brown, or an APA and a Dead Guy clone. Or an IPA and a maibock. Totally different choices, but I always have a hoppy beer on tap.

I always have homebrew rootbeer on tap in one keg. In the other two I keep more easy drinking beers, right now I have a fat tire clone and the other will soon have an Irish red ale.

I try to have ONE seasonal on tap and one "regular" beer. Meaning an IPA, APA, blonde ale...

Black, Brown/Red, Blonde and Wheat. That's a decent rule of thumb.

Examples:

Porter, Amber, Koelsch, Raspberry Wheat.

Stout, Brown Ale, APA, Hefeweizen.

RIS, Dubbel, Blonde Ale, Witbier.

When I get my system up and running (it's a struggle with finances, alas), it'll follow the brewpub standard of three 'house' ales - Black, Brown/Red, Blonde - and a rotating seasonal. I like my house recipes for Porter, Mild and Bitter enough to keep them on at all times. Having one open tap (and bottles) gives me enough freedom to experiment, too.

Bob

I have one lawn mower beer and the rest is what I felt like brewing. If I mant to brew an IPA, I brew it regardless of what will be on tap at the same time. Most of the time it works out...

I only have two taps right now with my current system- so I tend to keep something hoppy and something malty occupying those two taps although that varies.

Currently, I have my 08 cider and my house pale ale occupying those positions. My recent trend has been Belgians which, in my mind, really benefit from a lengthy bottle conditioning rather than going straight to the keg; as such, I've amassed quite the collection of bottles.

My plan for my four tap kegerator is to keep
(1) amber Belgian ale -i.e. Fat Tire clone
(2) Brown ale
(3) Porter
(4) Belgian Strong Golden Ale

I just got started with my new five tap and still haven't been able to all five taps functional at once yet. Just before one finished carbing, another kicked. Anyway, my goal is to always have a house pale ale (that I'm currently still tweaking :) ), something dark, like a porter, stout, or RIS, maybe one apfelwein, and then two others. My only requirements are the pale ale and the dark.

I'm not really concerned about brewing what others like because the people that visit usually either like what I have or would prefer a BMC.

I only have two taps right now with my current system- so I tend to keep something hoppy and something malty occupying those two taps although that varies.

Currently, I have my 08 cider and my house pale ale occupying those positions. My recent trend has been Belgians which, in my mind, really benefit from a lengthy bottle conditioning rather than going straight to the keg; as such, I've amassed quite the collection of bottles.

I'm actually in the process of assembling a cask system using 5L mini-kegs and an RV water pump with some modifications, so I really have three taps!

:rockin:

SWMBO told me I could put together a kegerator setup if I promised to have Apfelwein on tap 24/7 so she will get tap #1. I plan to build a 4 tap setup. I will always have an IPA of some sort. I am working on a house cream ale recipe that would be permanent. One tap left for a rotation and some experimentation. Now I just need to save my pennies.

I don't have a kegerator either (not yet anyway), but if I did, I'd always try to have a Koelsch, an English Pale Ale and a Witbier on tap. The fourth tap would be random stuff I am experimenting with, and maybe the occasional mead, cider or Apfelwein.

So far I only make two kinds of beer. I make an APA and an IPA. I'm a bit of a hop head. I have a twin picnic style keezer that I keep my kegs in. I always have my APA on tap. Now that I have my brewing system down pat I want to find a recipe for a nice Irish Cream Ale.

I've got 6 beers on tap and it's not enough. IPA, IIPA, English Brown, Brown Wheat Lager, Rye Bock and the Flanders Red. I've got at least 6 kegs ready to go on as soon as one is empty. I need a chest freezer. :D

I have 5 taps, but my general guideline is to keep at least an IPA or APA on tap and one that has mass appeal (usually a blonde or a wheat, but I have neither at the moment).

El Cuervo (Oatmeal Stout), Frost Giant (Strong Porter), Kashmir (Licorice Stout), Konvention (The rest of a Kolsch), Special Bitter (what's left of it) and I just put an experimental pale-type Ale on the gas which was made with Pils, some crystal, Fuggles and Northern Brewer (I think it was Northern Brewer).

I usually try to keep one "crowd pleaser" available for the "oh I don't want to try homebrew, I don't like dark beers" folks. Other than that, it's really whatever I feel like. Right now I have a brown, ed's haus ale, a couple different wheats, a ruination clone, and some other odds and ends. SWMBO prefers the wheat, but last time I was out of light beer she said the brown was good and asked for a pint of that :ban: oh wait, that means less for me :mad:

One tap I always rotate a pale, amber, or ipa. The second tap if for whatever I happen to be in the mood to brew.

A stout, a brown, a pale, a wheat, a extract rootbeer soda, and some mass market swill.

Of course, I've had the same 1/2BBL of Bud Light in there since June so I think that tap is going to be changed out to corny disconnects. *ick*

Back