Dang it - Bad starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LooyvilleLarry

Reaction score
So this was my first starter ( and brew ) that is happening this evening with my "brew wench" ( not SWMBO, just a friend)... anyway, I digress.

I made my fancy new stir plate, and set up my starter last night. While cooling, the ice melted, causing the flask to tilt, and took in water from the sink. I didn't think about that until this morning :( so I threw out the starter in fear of contamination (better safe than sorry)...

Plan B.. I have a slap pack of Wyeast that I took out of the frig and placed in a bowl of luke warm water for a couple of hours and activated it just before leaving for work (8:00).

I assume this will be fine to pitch this evening, just a slower start to ferm.

I know, I know, RAHAHB, but I don't have any!!!!

So, in retrospect, should I have just made a new starter this morning ?

Can't wait to get brewing on this. Damn work is getting in the way :p

I imagine that you will be able to get it to ferment with just the smackpack. You are right in thinking that it will have an increased lag time. I've done it and had it take up to 48 hours to get going. I would have made a new starter this morning but we live and learn.

:tank:

Drink heavily at lunch. That has nothing to do with your question of course, just a friendly suggestion for a Friday.

You'll be fine. As devaspawn suggested, making a starter from the un-activated smack pack might have been ideal, but smacking this morning and pitching tonight should be just fine. Wyeast claims that the average smack pack swells withing 5 or so hours (unless old) and they don't even recommend a starter in their FAQ. It'll be fine.

Still, it's Friday. Chicken wings and beer for lunch. That's my real suggestion.

Thanks for the idea!! The company that I work for is about 86 steps away from the local Micro! Close enough that often times, a laptop with a wireless connection allows you to work while sipping a good brew.

Retention is very high and the company is ranked highly in "Best Places to work". Go figure!

Personally, I think work should be much more like a friendly game of golf--If you make it to Friday noon, it's a gimme! Sometimes I have to take a mulligan on a Monday as well!!

Back