Bright Tank / Secondary Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewCanuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a Gluten Free Beer but advice on the process from Non-GF Brewers is more than welcome.

So 10 days ago I kicked off my first brewing experience with my first batch. This was a twist on LCasanova's ABA, using all BRS because I can't find Sorghum Syrup on this side of the pond.

Overall brew day went really well with 2 issues, 1) The brew pot was smaller than I thought, so I ended up having to do partial boil, which twisted the calculations all up and turned this from a classic ABA to more of a Northern English Brown Ale from the 1800s (More malt, less hops, higher ABV). 2) The OG came out higher than expected by about 15 points, some of this was from the partial boil, but I also think I may have some of the PPG values for my malts a little off.

Here's the revised recipe:

Ye Old Confused Brown Ale
Brewer: BrewCanuck
Northern English Brown Ale

Boil Size: 6.40 l (1.7g)
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.25 l (2.7g)
Estimated OG: 1,072 SG
Estimated IBU: 14,9 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name

0.45 kg (0.97lb) Buckwheat, Raw, Wet Roasted - Steep 30min@170F
0.44 kg (0.99lb) Millet, Flaked, Wet Roasted - Steep 30min@170F
1.80 kg (3.97lb) Rice Syrup, Brown Bio - Boil 60,0 min
10.00 g (0.35oz) Fuggles [4,98 %] - Boil 60,0 min
0.25 kg (0.55lb) Molasses, Black Strap - Boil 20,0 min
15.00 g (0.53oz) Goldings, East Kent [6,00 %] - Boil 15,0 min
5.00 g (0.18oz) Irish Moss (Boil 10,0 mins)
100.00 g (3.5oz) Malto-Dextrine (Boil 10,0 mins)
0.25 kg (0.55lb) Maple Syrup, Grade C - Boil 10,0 min
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Now this has been burbling happliy away in the corner of the kitchen @ 18C (68F) for the last 10 days. I checked it night before last and it was down to SG1.032 and has a pretty thick layer of Krausen. The hydro sample tasted pretty good so, I have high hopes. I moved it into the spare bedroom at 20C (72F) hoping the yeast will work a little faster.

Now to the problem. I just found out that I need to travel for work (stupid work getting in the way of my brewing), leaving Monday and returning 3 weeks later. The original plan was to keep the beer in the primary for 14, cold crash at 36F for the last two and bottle. Two weeks would be Sunday but since the SG is still so high I'm assuming it probably wont be ready to bottle.

Should I transfer to a Bright Tank/Secondary Fermenter for the 3 weeks I'm out of town, or should I just let it sit and worry about it when i get back? If I leave it, that means it'll be sitting on the trub for 5 weeks total. :confused:

Thanks all :D

Back