Help please no visible sign of fermentation after 48 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismacleodw

Reaction score
I just moved into my new apartment and while I am waiting on my propane burner to get up here I decided to use one of those Barons no boil kits. I followed the instructions to a T and even used liquid yeast (smack pack). It's been over 48 hours and nothing I even oxygenated like I do when I boil I am at a lose. Please someone help $50 is a hell of a lot to just pour down the drain.

Thanks just got a little worried because I have never had this problem before normally it starts fermenting after 12-24 hours.

Dude im a new Brewer my first batch took about 48 hours to start bubbling the airlock. ... check to make sure your bucket has no air leaks etc.

Just because there is no visible signs of fermentation does not mean it is not happening! Use your hydrometer to check a sample real quick.

Just because there is no visible signs of fermentation does not mean it is not happening! Use your hydrometer to check a sample real quick.

Wait until 72 hours then check the gravity! If you are using a bucket you may never see any activity. If you have even a small air leak you may not see any bubbling in the airlock. Krausen may rise and fall without seeing it happen. You may see some residue on the sides of the fermenter.

I pitched liquid yeast (no starter) in about 90 degree wort and had good signs of fermentation before ten hours. After 24 hours my airlock is bubbling like crazy. I suggest u pray to the beer gods.

But ya check for air leaks.

So I check the gravity and it dropping so I know it's fermenting I think I am going to let it drop a little lower and then move it to a secondary. Is there any way to really fix air leaks in a plastic bucket? Thanks again for all the help

I pitched liquid yeast (no starter) in about 90 degree wort and had good signs of fermentation before ten hours. After 24 hours my airlock is bubbling like crazy. I suggest u pray to the beer gods.

But ya check for air leaks.

I would strongly recommend for future brews, making a yeast starter and pitching at fermentation temps. This will greatly reduce off-flavors from fermentation.

Back