36 hour primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIZ002

Reaction score
This is about my 5th batch of extract brewing. I made an american ale this weekend og 1.065 so i used 2 packs of saf33 dry yeast and the fermentation started with in the hour and looks like primary ferm ended around 36 hrs! Is this possible for the primary ferm to be done this quick? Ferm at 71 degrees. Fermenting in a 6.5 glass carboy with a blowoff tube.

Never used that particular yeast before, but I have certainly seen that happen. Especially with a big pitch, one sachet of ale yeast is sufficient for your batch size, so that was more than you really needed. The beer will probably be a little estery, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just continue on as you normally do, RDWHAHB

Yes it is possible,
Just because the air lock is slowing a bit does not necessarily mean fermentation is done.
The yeast still have more work to do and clean up after themselves.

I would give it at least 2 more weeks then take a gravity reading.
Only your hydrometer can tell you when fermentation is finished NOT THE AIR LOCK.

Cheers!! Tim

Seeing how you realistically need at least two consecutive hydrometer readings over several days, I can't see how you can be certain fermentation is complete right now. But, it's possible...

Well like i said im not very experienced and i judged the ferm slowing down because it was like a vortex in there 3 hrs after pitching and now i cant see any movement. Also the foam on top was about an inch now its down to 1/32 of an inch if that. I believe i read that 1.065 and up you should pitch more yeast. Is this not true?

Back