Need some pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy

Reaction score
Mornin' Fellow Brewers,

I'm just about to start assembling my all-grain rig. If you have a unique design - PLEASE post! I'm working on a rig made of 2 kegs and a Mini-Mash lauter tun. I would really like to see your designs before I put mine together. I'm welding the frame from donated angle-iron and the wheels are on the way. I could just look at different pics on the web - but you guys are the reason I got past my first extract batch. I want to learn from you.

thanks - Paul

When I started AG I got lucky. we opened a restaurant in Colorado that had lots of old kegs for pots, cornies and Co2 bottles. My first system was gravity feed 3 tier with a 10 gallon gott cooler for the Mash tun and lauter tun and 2 self converted kegs as as kettle and HLT . economically speaking, that was the way to start, (for me) because I only had to buy 2 burners. 1 burner I put on the top "step" of my angle iron frame for HLT, the middle step had a heat shield to protect the plastic cooler and the bottom tier wasn't really a tier at all. I just let the kettle rest on the second burner. If I was to upgrade my system still more, (the gott cooler is long replaced by another keg), I woul use a pump and put my mash/lauter tun on the top with the sparge and kettle on the same level; pump the sparge water to the lauter tun and let gravity take care of filling the brew pot.

I forgot to say: the reason I would buy a pump and put the brewpot on the same level as the HLT is so I woun't have to lift the hot kettle in order to fill the fermenter. 5 gallon batches aren't to bad but with the kegs you can brew 10 gallon batches and that gets pretty hairy when lifting, not only because of the weight but also because of the heat. I have lost a few layers of skin around my knees when lifting the pot.

Latest posts

Back