Burrs turning into male parts , hermaphrodite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRems

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm having a little problem with my Zeus plant. Just in the last few days a bunch of the new burrs have turned from cones into dangly ball parts. It seems it's growing male parts. I have 9 other hops ( different varieties) nearby and they are all fine. This is actually my strongest plant. It did get to close to 100 degrees for a couple days and wonder if it got stressed? Since this is a female plant is the pollen sterile or can it pollenate the hops and will I get seeds? Also when can hops be pollinated? Most of the plants are full of cones, do they still have to be in the burr stage to get pollinated or can a fully formed cone get pollinated? I picked off as much of the male parts as possible. Not sure what to do. I know I can't possibly find every male part and pick it off. I don't want to cut it down it's full of cones. Any suggestions?

First suggestion: don't worry!

Zeus is prone to doing this in the heat. Zeus is a great grower, a fun hop, and probe to switching "teams"

A hermaphrodite plant is sterile and will not pollinate your other plants. As a hone brewer those dingle berries are a non issue.

You search this site if you don't believe me. I love my he/she zeus plant. I think it actually has a great aroma.

Wow, thanks! I had no idea they were prone to "switching teams". I guess it's like everthing else rdwhahb

Back