Bottle Infection... PLEASE help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed up a nice foreign stout about 5 weeks ago... I let it sit in the primary for 4 weeks. At week 3 I noticed some different bubbles had reformed on top of the brew. Not a lot but I grew a little concerned. Bottled the 4th week and left the top 2" or so of beer in fermenter. Now I went to check on things and all the beers half a slight film on top of them... cracked on open and a gross brown came out and then the bottle just foamed over... It is safe to say that no normal beer would carb that quickly (1 week). Not sure what happened as the fermentation initially went great.. Any advice would be very helpful as I have 5 gallons in jeopardy :(

How long have they been in the bottle? Did you actually chill the beer before you open them?

More than likely what you saw on top of the beer in the bottle was just the remnanats of bottle krausen, and not an infection, and the reason they gushed was either it was too soon and the co2 hasn't fully integrated into the beer yet AND OR the beer wasn't chilled long enough.

Watch poindexter's video from my bottling blog.

Like he shows several times, even @ 1 week, all the hissing, all the foaming can and does happen, but until it's dissolved back into the beer, your don't really have carbonation, with tiny bubbles coming out of solution happening actually inside the glass, not JUST what's happening on the surface. But not an infection.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

But until then the beer can even appear to be overcarbed, when really nothing is wrong.

But I'm not really convinced you actually have an infection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Revvy... I'm just paranoid. I had the same bubble like krausen about 10 beers ago in the same fermenter. All those beers when bottled were over carbed.

The beer was at room temperature when opened. I will let it sit for another 2 weeks as it has already been 1 week, and go from there. I have just never experienced bottle krausen before. Does the yeast basically repeat its fermentation process in the bottle as well?

Thanks again!

Back