Overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
I am part of a vegetable co-op and lately my wife and I have forgotten to request "no fruit". Our family (my wife, me and two roomates [very close friends]) don't eat fruit. So now I've got a bunch of fruit and no mouths to put it in, so of course the thought comes to mind, beer. I have pears, oranges, apples, kiwi, and some sort of apple/pear mutant.

So my idea was to cut them all up, blend them, freeze them, thaw them, then pitch them.
My only concern is infection. So here comes the overkill part....

I was going to:
wash them off and spray them with a light mix of starsan
put down wax paper that's been sanitized and cut & seed them
Sanitize the blender and blend with juice from oranges
Pour the blend into a sanitized container and freeze for a couple days
Thaw them and pitch.

I thought because they had been starting to get softer and bruise it might be better to take a few more steps than just blend, freeze, thaw and pitch.

I also am part of the camp of people who believe boiling will reduce flavor and/or aroma. I also don't really want to use C tabs.

Thoughts?

You mentioned sanitizing and boiling as options, but not pasteurizing. I've never made a fruit beer myself, but every recipe I've seen suggests pasteurizing the fruit. It does require heating the fruit, though not boiling, and seems like it might be a bit simpler. Just a thought.

Personally, I like very few fruit based beers (New Glarus is one of the few) because I have found that unless you really know what you are doing/how to use fruit properly in beer it end up being a train wreck quite often. Montanaandy

Latest posts

Back