Thoughts on Oats in a Northern Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therealrsr

Reaction score
I am putting together the recipe. Base is Jamil's from his show. I just did a first taste on a Coffee Oatmeal Stout with a fair amount of oats. I like the mouthfeel even when green and was thinking of a small bit in the brown. Hopefully leaning more in the direction of Samual Smiths than Newcastle. Although both rock! Anyone added oats to their brown and have thoughts to offer?

:off:man green bear tears up my stomach

I'd say go for it, at least a little bit. I threw some in a brown ale and I thought it turned out pretty good, but I never made that recipe with out it so I can't say what the difference is. Seems like I was on an oatmeal kick for a while throwing it in anything except pilsners.

I didn't toast mine, i just got some oats from the brew store, but I should have just used quick oats, I think they're sort of mashed already. I'd double check though, if you're looking for fermentables out of it. For just mouthfeel i'd just throw it in.

Latest posts

Back