does wort need to be cooled down quickly so late hop additons are effective?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss429

Reaction score
Read this on more mr malty...

Brynildson says, “Getting great hop aroma takes execution, knowing your raw materials and knowing your brewhouse. If you throw hops into the whirlpool and then take two hours to cool, you will not get the effect you are looking for. We throw our late hops into the whirlpool at the last possible moment and then cool and transfer to the fermenter as quickly as possible.”

so i should use a wort chiller and ice bath try to get it down to 70 or pitch temps as fast as i can?

whats your experience with this? should i go buy like 5 bags of ice next time i brew?

The primary reason for quick chilling is to shock proteins into precipitating.

What they're talking about here though is that if it takes a long time to cool the wort then the heat is going to drive off the aroma compounds and they, just as it would for an earlier addition.

Both reasons are valid reasons to do your best to chill quickly.

Perhaps this idea of quickly cooling the wort to assist with a late hop profile deserves more attention. I haven't seen it discussed much here.

Perhaps, but I suspect that most people that are using late hop or flameout hops use a fast cooling method and don't even think about it.

Latest posts

Back