analogue brewing co. logo (concept)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commonlaw

Reaction score
A proof of concept for a name and logo I'm considering. What do y'all think? Obviously some cleaning up to do of the drawing, colors to consider, etc. I'm having the hardest time choosing a name I like, but this is one of the contenders.

analoguehbt.jpg

I was expecting to see some vinyl! I like the concept, kind of in the S-L-O-W and unplugged vein. I would loose the lens and go for a clock that look more like an old school (get it - old school) clock. I actually would think about using an old 45 instead of the clock. But it is your logo and it is a great idea and name!

thanks for the input--it was supposed to be a pocket watch... so I have some work to do to make it clear (I'm not exactly a graphics designer so once I get the concept down I'll get someone else to help!) I was thinking of going for sort of a more steampunk sort of analogue, but I dig the vinyl idea too. Could also use a vacuum tube or something. I was also playing with working in some gears or clockworks.

I thought about the noon -- was trying to be cute with making an "L" out of the hands and the "O" out of the case for the pocket watch.

Some ideas to chew on. Thanks!

Well, I liked the symbolism and notion of an analog clock vs. a digital clock - I got it right away. What was a little harder was to get the name "analog" - you kind of have to search for the name - but like you said, you could use colors to highlight them. I liked the design.

As a graphic designer, I think it would be interesting to see the entire name encompassed inside of the watch and a little less literal. Put this mockup together in 15 minutes.

analogue.jpg

Feel free to use as you want. You can find some great stock art (for cheap!) to use for the watch at http://www.istockphoto.com/

As a graphic designer, I think it would be interesting to see the entire name encompassed inside of the watch and a little less literal. Put this mockup together in 15 minutes.

analogue.jpg

Feel free to use as you want. You can find some great stock art (for cheap!) to use for the watch at http://www.istockphoto.com/

Wow, R2D2, that is outstanding!

analogue.jpg

thanks r2d2! very nice idea. some more good stuff to play with.

analogue.jpg

Cool images at istockphoto -- interesting to note though that their license prohibits you from using the art in a logo or trademark (being a lawyer, I had to check). Not that I have plans to go big any time soon. ;)

Well, it's not so much the image /artwork that you would be looking to copy... it's the idea. I use images to spark ideas.

working off R2-D2s idea, here are some more samples.

ideas.png

I don't like the ones with hops all around i don't think, but the other two are ok, though still need some work. I could get rid of the hops and barley all together, but I have always liked labels like Sierra Nevada and Anchor that use them--seems sort of traditional.

Or I could use the barley and hops like this:

barleywatch.png

Now that I do that, I kind of like it even not as a watch (though it may need some other decorative accent).

barleyl.png

Also, for brewpastor, here's an idea with vinyl (just sorta playing).

record.png

Or I could use the barley and hops like this:

barleywatch.png

Now that I do that, I kind of like it even not as a watch (though it may need some other decorative accent).

barleyl.png

I like where you are going with these. Keep at it. The lowercase "g" intersecting the wheat/barley is kinda bugging me. Nitpicky, I know, but that's why they pay me the big bucks.

I hear ya (I was a bit afraid of the condom bit... I could make some adjustments).

Thanks for the help -- it's much appreciated. I'm going to keep playing as you suggest.

I vote for R2-D2's first post. After looking at the OP, I was wondering how it would look with the clock 'L' scaled to fit within Analog similar to R2's pic, then I scrolled down and there it was......creepy....

analogue.jpg

As a graphic design student, I agree with this, the original logo had too much going on in too small of a space.

If you want to try to get the barley in the logo, you can work them into the clock arms in R2D2's logo. I was going to go to school tomorrow to work on my holiday beer labels, if I have some extra time I'll see if I can squeeze out some ideas for this too.

I have to say that every time I look at these logos it reminds me of that SNL Celebrity Jeopardy skit where Sean Connery says "Anal Bum Cover" (instead of An Album Cover) because the first thing I see is in these designs is the word ANAL ...

I have to say that every time I look at these logos it reminds me of that SNL Celebrity Jeopardy skit where Sean Connery says "Anal Bum Cover" (instead of An Album Cover) because the first thing I see is in these designs is the word ANAL ...

haha. actually i was hoping by using the "L" for a graphic that people would be less inclined to see that (like if you used the "o" it would be pretty obvious). Hrmmm.... maybe the name is bunk.

Is there any particular reason you are going with the analogue time piece motif? Are you into watches etc.? I ask because the first think I think of when I hear analogue is sound recording as in "a technique used to store signals of audio or video information for later playback" as in a phonograph record, cassette tape, 8-Track etc.

I think one of the first replies said that they were expecting to see "vinyl" so I know I'm not the only one who thinks of sound when they hear the word analogue.

Is there any particular reason you are going with the analogue time piece motif? Are you into watches etc.? I ask because the first think I think of when I hear analogue is sound recording as in "a technique used to store signals of audio or video information for later playback" as in a phonograph record, cassette tape, 8-Track etc.

I think one of the first replies said that they were expecting to see "vinyl" so I know I'm not the only one who thinks of sound when they hear the word analogue.

nope, nothing really crucial with the watch. as I said earlier, I'd really rather have more of a steampunk sort of feel. The pocket watch was what I thought of first, and then it evolved. Now I'm trying to explore a few other things (like the vacuum tube, and some other stuff I'm working on like something that looks like an analog signal). I'll give some more thought to the music idea.

Analogue and Analog are different words with different meaning.

yes and no. I think they both can mean the same thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogue I kind of like the look of analogue in terms of balance, and also it seems to have a more "british" feel, which I guess I like, though I'm not opposed to analog. Analogue also can mean a shared motif in literature.

First let me thank you all again for your insights and critiques. I really appreciate it. Here's a quick design for another name I was thinking of. I haven't figured out what else would go on the newspaper (on the left side, probably a description of the beer. Maybe some sort of picture on the right?) I'm also still working on analog/ue. Which do you like better?

broadsheet.png

Analogue and Analog are different words with different meaning.

Then he's using the wrong word with the graphic because analog means "of or pertaining to a mechanism that represents data by measurement" as in measuring time. Analogue means something that bears an analogy (or being analogous) to something else so a clock face is really way out in left field

First let me thank you all again for your insights and critiques. I really appreciate it. Here's a quick design for another name I was thinking of. I haven't figured out what else would go on the newspaper (on the left side, probably a description of the beer. Maybe some sort of picture on the right?) I'm also still working on analog/ue. Which do you like better?

broadsheet.png

Whats the meaning behind Broadsheet? I didn't get a chance work on analog brewing today because I had some class work to finish up too.

Back