Enzymes for Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguinfogel

Reaction score
I've been crawling through the forums for over 10 min searching for an answer and couldn't find one.

Can I get the enzymes needed for using oatmeal just from the specialty grains? Or should I do partial mash with some base grains? Also if specialty grains work wich should I use and how much? I'm looking for a grain that wont effect flavor or through off the character too much.

It depends on what specialty grains you are using. Some have enzymes, others do not. Malted oats would provide enzymes, for instance, but would also have a somewhat different flavor to the unmalted oats that are more commonly used.

Generally, though, some amount of base malt is a good idea. Not just for the enzymes, but also for the barley husks - without those, you're going to end up with a sticky mess of porridge that won't be easy to sparge!

Can we see your recipe? I would start with at least as much base malt as you have oats, probably 2 row or maybe 6 row, but it really depends on what else is in there.

I don't have a recipe yet, was just wondering since I may want to add oatmeal to some future recipes.

Then look at reading up on partial-mash and look at DeathBrewer's step by step pictorial on the process he uses on the stove top.

Partial mash is mostly just steeping at a controlled temperature with a controlled amount of water. It's super easy in practice.

You really need some base malt. Some specialty grains can convert themselves, but that's it.

+1 on the base malt. I don't know how they made those all oat beers, but they must have used a ****-ton of rice hulls. I wouldn't attempt anything greater than 50% adjunct/specialty grains for fear of mash tun glue.

Latest posts

Back