Ideas for Splitting Batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hey now,
I currently brew 10G batches and want to start mixing it up a bit. Rather than 10 gallons of the same beer. I like to get 5 gallons of a classic style and 5 gallons of something "different". I ferment in a Sanke keg so I would rather not split batches into carboys and pitch different yeasts. Rather I would like to ferment the beer out normally and put 5 gallons into secondary with some additional ingredients. Some ideas I have include:
Cream Ale- adding some chili peppers
American Wheat- adding fruit
Chocolate Stout- adding cherries or raspberries

How about some other combo's?

Wheat with citrus zests
Wheat with lemon and ginger
Browns with chistmas/pie spices
Stouts with vanilla beans

The beauty is you can mix up an approximate sample of most anything before ruining your whole 5 gallons in secondary.

Hey now,
I currently brew 10G batches and want to start mixing it up a bit. Rather than 10 gallons of the same beer. I like to get 5 gallons of a classic style and 5 gallons of something "different". I ferment in a Sanke keg so I would rather not split batches into carboys and pitch different yeasts. Rather I would like to ferment the beer out normally and put 5 gallons into secondary with some additional ingredients. Some ideas I have include:
Cream Ale- adding some chili peppers
American Wheat- adding fruit
Chocolate Stout- adding cherries or raspberries

How about some other combo's?

i had a cherry chocolate stout the other day (the brewery escapes me right now)
it was amazing. one of the best things i have ever tasted.

it does seems easy to screw up though, so it will probably take some messing around to get it right

The Chile beer is really good. I made one this Summer that we are loving. I used 4 smoked Jalapenos in the primary, but secondary should work. Cream ale base, nice fruity pepper taste & aroma followed by some heat in the back of the throat that instantly dissipates. Easy drinker, but 1 or two at most. Not something you would knock back a few of. Good dinner pairing with pizza, wings, bbq or a burger.

Other ideas:
Bourbon Stout or porter.
Spiced stouts
Belgian Wits with fruit additions

Back