Do I need my specialty grains milled??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackJohn

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was getting on AHS to order some ingredients for my next batch, and I saw an option that sort of confused me. "Would you like your grains milled?" I am only buying Chocolate Malt and Carafa III, and I believe I read somewhere that the roasted malts do not need to be milled because the enzymes were burnt out anyhow. Is this right or did I make this up?

I think you've confused two 'm' words: caramel/crystal and roasted malts do not need to be mashed, but they do need to be milled. Milling exposes the inside of the grain so that flavour and sugars can be extracted.

Don't worry about mashing at this point. Do mill ALL your grain. Otherwise the goodness is trapped inside the husk.

I think you've confused two 'm' words: caramel/crystal and roasted malts do not need to be mashed, but they do need to be milled. Milling exposes the inside of the grain so that flavour and sugars can be extracted.

Oh I'm such a DA!! I DID confused mash and mill. Thanks for setting me straight. Mill ALL grains, don't need to worry about MASHING them. Got it!

Back