Pa (Pumpkin Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjab19

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
wyeast 1098
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 62*F
Tasting Notes
Tastes very cimilar to Buffalo Bill\'s Brewery Pumpkin Ale
I based this recipe off of the pumpkin ale recipe in Zymurgy. I added some victory, changed some of the percentages of the grains, and changed the spices a little bit. It happened to turn out as a very close clone of a pumpkin ale by Buffalo Bill's Brewery. It is a little less spicy than that pumpkin ale, which I prefered.

Please note 5 gallon boil for a 4 gallon batch. Weird, I know, but 5 gallons takes up too many bottles for me to brew on a regular basis.

5.00 lbs Marris Otter
2.5 lbs Munich (dark)
.5 lbs Belgian Aromatic
.25 lbs American Victory
.5 lbs Brown Sugar @ 45 minutes
.5 lbs CaraMunich

1 Oz Fuggles (4.0 AA) at 45 mins

2 tsp cinnamon
.5 tsp nutmeg
.5 tsp ground clove

1/3 cup priming sugar

4 lbs canned pumpkin roasted for 1 hour at 350*F with 1/2 cup brown sugar and a light dusting of cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe a 1/2 tsp. of each.

Mashed via the B.I.A.B. method at 154*F for 60 minutes and then ramped up to 170*F. Had enough wort for a 5 gallon boil. Add roasted pumpkin for the complete boil. Add spice mix at 1 minute remaining.

Ended up with 4 gallons of wort to ferment and 3.5 gallons at the end of fermentation because of all of the pumpkin junk at the bottom of the carboy.

Let sit in bottles for 3-4 weeks and it is good to go!

Going to make this again for sure. One of the first beers that I have made that I actually want other people to try.

Back