H&B Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannish

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
European Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ ~68 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ ~68 F
Tasting Notes
A rich, nicely spiced, holiday treat.
Recipe courtesy Hops & Berries

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Pumpkin Ale
Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
TYPE: Extract
Taste: A rich, nicely spiced, holiday treat.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 18.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.4 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.75 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 84.38 %
0.75 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 9.38 %
0.50 lb Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.50 oz Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Cinnamon Stick (Boil 12.0 min) Misc
2.00 items Clove (Boil 12.0 min) Misc
5.00 lb Pumpkin (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs European Ale (Wyeast Labs #1338) Yeast-Ale

Notes:
------
Steep grains for 30 minutes at 160 degrees. If using fresh pumpkin, cut into quarters, seed and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Scoop pumpkin from skin. Add baked pumpkin or canned pumpkin to boil for last 15 minutes.

Not sure if I'll get a reply since this thread is so old, but what are your recommendations when it comes to canned pumpkin? I really don't want to go through so much trouble with a real one if possible...

How much canned pumpkin? Do you have to bake the canned pumpkin? Do you need to put is in a grain bag or dump it in, and if you dump it in will there be a big mess when you transfer it to the primary?

just to jump in here, I will post my own recipe for a Pumpkin Rum ale I made a few months ago and just now am enjoying; but to answer your questions, some have just added the pumpkin to the boil right from the can. Me, I used two large cans of pumpkin (58 oz) baked for an hour at 300 with a drizzle of molasses and some pumpkin spice on top. This was added to the boil at 60 minutes. Yes, no matter what you do, it will be a mess; I let it sit on the stuff during primary rather than try and get it out.

Thanks Weeb!! Just curious why bake it?

I read that some of the sugars in the pumpkin would caramelize and add a bit of depth (like a baked pumpkin pie) and it did come out of the oven with a light brown crust over the top. Since this is my first pumpkin ale, I have no idea if it added anything or not, just seemed like the thing to do.

I just brewed a pumpkin with 58 oz of canned pumpkin. However, I didn't bake the pumpkin.

Now I'm a little nervous.

I put the pumpkin in with my partial mash and then boiled the wort for 75 minutes.

Let's see how this goes.

Back