Belgian Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixbillionethans

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3787
Yeast Starter
800ml starter X2
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7+
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days (see below for temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks (2 @ 72F, 2 @ 45F)
Additional Fermentation
Bottle condition w/ dry US Ale Yeast
Malts:
8 lb Belgian Pils
3 lb Belgian Pale
1 lb German Munich
0.6 lb Flaked Wheat
0.5 lb Aromatics

Sugars:
1.5 lb Sucanat (dried cane juice)
1 lb Date Sugar

Hops:
2 oz EKG - 90 mins
1 oz Saaz - 15 mins

Mash @ 152 for 60 mins.

Fermentation in water bath setup: primary temp schedule was 1 day each at 64, 66, 68, 70, 72 and hold. I thought this did a nice job of controlling the fermentation temp. Trappist brewers usually try to keep yeast from getting out of hand. Still had massive blowover with a 6.5 gal carboy. Peak carboy temp was approx 75 on day 3.

Ended up too dark to be considered a tripel (my original goal), but one of my better brews to date. Use of the Sucanat and Date Sugar is probably better suited to a Dubbel, but it added a complex tart sweetness that is really amazing. Low FG is perfect as the beer is still relatively light in body @ 9.5% alc (digestible, as the Belgians would say). Serving temp of 45 is good to bring out maltiness and hide the alcohol. Carbonation is excellent...I think using the dry ale yeast at bottling was key to nice head and good carbonation. Beer has "legs" in the glass and can be savored for a long time. I'm pleased.

Back