Water Profile for Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricshayne

Reaction score
Looking for input on the profile I should aim for. right now Im thinking of basing it on the Farmhouse Ale's Saison profile but bumping up the Calcium and Sulfate content a bit. This is what I am looking at after treating my water:

Ca - 90
Mg - 12
Na - 8
SO - 160
Cl - 22
Bicarbonate - 130

any input would be greatly appreciated

As 'Belgian - IPA' is a contradiction in terms I suppose you can use any water profile you like and tweak it until the product tastes the way you like insofar as you can adjust that with water. As 'P' stands for 'pale' in the usual interpretation I assume that there will be little or no dark malt (though there will probably be some crystal/caramel) and as such there should be no bicarbonate in the water. If fact the opposite; you will need some acid.

I only use Gypsum and Calcium Chloride in my water as per the primer, all other levels are the City of Chicago's current concentrations .

I would not target that high a sulfate level and would reduce the gypsum addition. Other than that and the inappropriate bicarbonate concentration that AJ pointed out, that profile should be OK.

Other than that and the inappropriate bicarbonate concentration that AJ pointed out, that profile should be OK.

Still somewhat new to water treatment. I don't use RO as Chicago's water is great and pretty stable. when you say inappropriate bicarbonate concentration do you mean that it is a bad concentration to start with, or just mean that it is going to need some acid?
thank you for the responses I do really appreciate the input!

Back