Lactic Acid replacing Citric?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozzfrist

Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb for subbing 88% Lactic (like the kind sold by Carlson) for Citric Acid crystals (also sold by Carlson)?

Technically, I'm asking regarding cheesemaking, but I thought the scientists here would have the answer -- apologies if I should move the question to the other forum -- and I thought the answer might be of interest to people who want to change their mash PH or add sourness to their beer without a sour mash.

The situation is that many Mozzarella recipes start by telling you to add citric acid to warm milk. I have lactic on hand and would like to use it instead. The acid is the thing of value -- the flavor is supposed to be largely interchangable at the amounts in question -- generally 1.5 teaspoons of citric acid per gallon of milk.

If anyone can provide a rough estimate (or even precise amount) of how many grams of lactic would equal 5ml of citric, I would appreciate it.

The equivalence depends on the target pH as both are weak acids. The graph below shows the equivalence as a function of that pH. If you want to know why we can get into that.

Looking at things by the light of day it seems that 1 mL lactic acid for 1 gram of citric is a rough approximation at any pH likely to be of interest.

LacCit.jpg

The equivalence depends on the target pH as both are weak acids. The graph below shows the equivalence as a function of that pH. If you want to know why we can get into that.

Looking at things by the light of day it seems that 1 mL lactic acid for 1 gram of citric is a rough approximation at any pH likely to be of interest.

Thanks for the reply, that's helpful. I'll go with 1 ml to 1 g.

The recipes for Mozzarella I've seen are a lot less precise than the calculations for changing mash pH -- you'll see some say 1.5 tsp citric per gallon of milk, but others vary by 25% or more. I'm guessing yeast is a lot more fussy than rennet, or maybe the large amount of calcium in milk has something to do with it, or both.

Try 0.18% by weight of the milk, so for one gallon use 0.25 oz.. From my experience, that's 1 1/2 tsp., which is bout the same as a lot of recipes call for with citric acid (1 1/2tsp). I know this thread is old but I wanted to put this information out there in case anyone is searching for the answer, it is a good question after all, what better acid to use in cheese making than lactic acid as it's working in a lactose environment.

Latest posts

Back