100% Oat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
srubahoundnc
Sorry for the late reply but I brewed this before I really knew what was going on. 1 Gallon batch using 1LBS Quaker quick Oats and two cups of white sugar and bread yeast.

Yay now that I know more about brewing it was made too fail and I didn't even know it. :)

To kick in on this thread, We've been trying a 100% oat beer experiment using some ideas we ran into from the reenactor community, working some "kitchen" small beer recipes from the 18th century (including ginger beer, which I HIGHLY recommend). We're trying a 1 gal experimental batch using organic rolled oats, lalvin K1-V116 wine yeast, molassas, a tbl of apple cider vinegar, and several sprigs of rosemary in lieu of hops. We simmered the ingredients together for about 10 minutes, then allowed to cool and pitched the yeast, then we sat the must out, covered with a cloth but with no fermentation lock, overnight, then strained the stuff twice and put it into a fermentation bucket. At that point our sg was 1.050. We let it ferment for two days at room temperature (no real choice here, we live on a boat. The cellar is VERY damp), at which point the SG was around 1.022 giving an abv of about 3.68%, not unusual for a historic small beer. At this point we tasted a bit. The flavors were mild, slightly floral, and very pleasant, though the mouth feel was slightly viscous(carbonation might really help with that).

We did a test bottle at that point with a little sugar to spur carbonation and returned the rest to the fermenter (it still seems to be fermenting, but at a very slow rate). Will try the test bottle in a day or so.

I don't know if the rosemary has any enzymatic effect on the mash or not. Anybody?

Will let you guys know.

Last edited:
Did a test today and had a SG of 1.015 which gives us 4.59 ABV. The stuff is still fermenting slowly but steadily. We opened the bottle we had sealed yesterday with a bit of brown sugar and gave it a taste. It was VERY live, as one might expect, and I think the carbonation definitely helps the mouth feel. The taste is really rather pleasant, like a stout that has a very molasses or caramel background. We bottled the remainder from the fermentation bucket, adding no additional sugar as it was still cooking. Will give it another three or four days and then crack open one and see what we've got.

This is still in process, but If I had it to do again I'd add more rosemary and probably use a mix of molasses and raw sugar instead of straight molasses. All in all, it's turning out far better than we'd anticipated. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
And, as an update: Tried one of our test bottles today, which threw a LOT of sediment. Next time we'll leave it in the fermenter longer, rack it off, and then filter before bottling. The taste is still quite pleasant, a bit nutty, with a sharp aftertaste with hints of the rosemary. Carbonation helps with the mouth feel. I don't think this will keep for long ans I suspect the sharp aftertaste is gonna grow over time. All in all, not an unpleasant drink, and it indicates to us that it's do-able without a lot of messing about. Will do an update int two or three days when we crack another of our test bottles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back