100% Oat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubahoundnc

Reaction score
I made this beer on the 4th just to see what it would be like. I have never seen/tasted a 100% oat beer. And there aren't many recipes online.

13# Oat Malt
1# Flaked Oats
1# Golden naked Oats

113 for 20min
146 for 30min
158 for 30min

OG 1.058

Hops
.3oz Nelson 60min
.7oz Nelson 15min
1oz Nelson flame out

1oz Nelson Dry Hop (I may leave this out depending on the final product)

Yeast
Wyeast 5151 - Brett Claussenii.

Technically not gluten free b/c it was milled/brewed where barley had been used and I used a liquid yeast. However, I did add Clarity Ferm.

This is a 100% experimental beer with no expectations of it being good or bad.

(It looked like I was boil 8 gallons of Latte!)

I'll bite. Seems someone if succesfull would have talked or posted. Hope it turns out fantastic. But it might have a mouth feel that might not be desired.

According to the grain specs the malted oats have no diastatic power. You're not going to get any enzymatic conversion of starch to sugar in your mash.

Perhaps a test mash of 0.5 lbs of oat malt would be in order

I didn't know or expect that and wonder why they can malt them, which creates the enzymes, but none of them are left after kilning. They're not kilned very dark either. Are they that different from barley and wheat kernels?

I'm curious what the OP experienced gravity wise. What did the refractometer read on the runnings?

Substituting 3-4 pounds of the oat malt with 6-row (DP 160) would give the grist enough DP (30-40) for full conversion, definitely with an extended mash. I doubt you could taste any of the barley among all those oats.

i have always wanted to try something like this. very interested to see how it turns out

Looks like Drew and Denny list malted oats as being able to convert, but more as a steeping grain, so this will be interesting
https://books.google.com/books?id=m...onepage&q=malted oats diastatic power&f=false

Thanks for the link.
However, it doesn't mention "more as a steeping grain." It suggests it would be better to use malted oats instead of flaked oats, when steeping. Although steeping and mashing are related, the malted oats really should be mashed.

If one were to use flaked oats, they definitely need to be mashed with a diastatic malt to convert starches to (fermentable) sugars.

This post seems to suggest a diastatic power similar to 2row?
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87283

Looks like Drew and Denny list malted oats as being able to convert, but more as a steeping grain, so this will be interesting
https://books.google.com/books?id=m...onepage&q=malted oats diastatic power&f=false

Good stuff guys/gals.

Thanks for sharing the link to the book. I had seen the discussion on the NB forum but thought the specs from midwest trumped it.

If it were me I would still do a test mash to see what kind of mash mechanics and conversion and pH you will be dealing with before comitting to mashing 15+ lbs.

I wonder how highly modified the malt is. Will step mashing involving a protein or an acid rest be needed? This is interesting. I hope you can get a good beer out of it.

I emailed Thomas fawcett about this malt. Hopefully they will reply with confirmation that the malt does indeed have diastatic power. If I hear anything I will post in this thread.

It'll be interesting to see what TF has to say. After looking at it, I think I might swap flaked for malted oats in one of my stouts to try something different.

Here is a comprehensive analysis of Oat malt. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2011.tb00487.x/epdf

My rig is a old Compubrew RIMS system with motorized mash paddle.

This experiment wasn't designed to be scientific. No PH measurements, no Refraco measurements. In fact (get ready to cringe) I didnt even chill it! I threw it in a Jerrycan overnight. (first time doing that too)

How much Clausenii did you pitch? Does 5151 actually have enough for a brett only fermentation? The brett will have a full time chewing through all those oats. Keep us posted!

What had happened was... I didnt make a started and it was from May. Making a yeast starter is probably the only thing I would have done different (At this point). I just didn't have time.

Here is a comprehensive analysis of Oat malt. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2011.tb00487.x/epdf

My rig is a old Compubrew RIMS system with motorized mash paddle.

This experiment wasn't designed to be scientific. No PH measurements, no Refraco measurements. In fact (get ready to cringe) I didnt even chill it! I threw it in a Jerrycan overnight. (first time doing that too)

Great. thanks for sharing that link. Seems oats produce a beer with

• slightly lower alcohol per pound of grain used
  • slightly higher pH
  • no lautering problems (lots of husks in the oats)
  • favorable flavor
  • berry like aroma

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out. Please post a picture of your beer if you can. I never knew such a thing could exist before today. "Oat Beer"

Interesting experiment.
I often wonder why beer brewers almost never consider just buying a small bag of amylase enzyme and using that in the mash when they are concerned over conversion. A homebrew shop out of Tulsa Oklahoma carries it if your LHBS doesn't.

Interesting experiment.
I often wonder why beer brewers almost never consider just buying a small bag of amylase enzyme and using that in the mash when they are concerned over conversion. A homebrew shop out of Tulsa Oklahoma carries it if your LHBS doesn't.

Powdered alpha amylase is designed to be used for wine. It removes starch haze (no idea how that happens) from the wine. It is designed to work at much lower temperatures than a mash. As a result it doesn't seem very efficient for non-diastic malts. Overnight mashes seem to help because the powdered stuff works slower.

These are just the observations that I have noticed.

Interesting experiment.

I am of the philosophy that its a lack of knowledge on both ends of the scale.

AssUMe
But I will bite... How would amyase help me?

Taken from notes i have, I think this was from a discussion on the barclay perkins blog about the original oatmalt stout from maclays

"Jeff Renner said...

I was working with home malted oats in the late 90's, both for a recreation of a medieval ale and later oat malt stout. When Fawcett's became available in the US, I emailed them and got this advice in a 1999 email from James Fawcett:

"Oat malt laboratory worts are normally slightly hazy rather than clear. Oats are not normally low in protein and are quite difficult to modify from a protein viewpoint, which could well explain this. Our current stock gives values of 11.8 % total protein with an index of modification of 27.8%.

"As far as mash schedules are concerned we would suggest you ensure temperatures are between 63 degrees C and 68 degrees C during mashing in with a one hour minimum stand after mashing in a grist composed of 50% oat malt and 50% lager malt.

"You should aim at a liquor/grist ratio of between 2.5:1and 3:1.

"Oat malt needs very close mill settings to achieve an acceptable grist. For normal malts our standard mill setting is 62 thou top and 58 thou bottom- for oat malt we drastically reduce these settings to 48 thou top and 42 thou bottom. Certainly a point to watch to produce an optimal grist for mashing."

I have never done an all oat beer, but i have read a few posts on other forums where people have done them and so it is possible to do a 100% OM beer. I seem to remember that most people would not repeat it though. I think there is a reason why barley and wheat win in this case, and its flavour :eek:

I'm going to keep my next oatmalt stout which I'll brew in the next few months to between 10-20% om I think.

i guess i was wrong. it should be momo (malted oats, maris otter). or would the oats have to be labeled as "oats - malted?"

or for this one if you call it malted oats instead of oat malt, then this one could be named Golden Naked MOFO.

i guess i was wrong. it should be momo (malted oats, maris otter). or would the oats have to be labeled as "oats - malted?"

or for this one if you call it malted oats instead of oat malt, then this one could be named Golden Naked MOFO.

LOL i thought you meant MaltedOatsOatMeal or OatMealMaltedOats

I found the Lot Analysis for this batch of Oat malt:

Lot Name
Moisture %_______3.2
Extract FGAs
Extract FG Dry____61.3
Extract CGAs
Extract CG Dry
F/C Diff.
Color ° Lovibond___2.0
Diastatic Power
Alpha Amylase
Total Protein______11.25
S/T
Viscosity
Beta Glucan
Assortment 7/64
Assortment 6/64
Assortment Thru
TFOATMALT

It just had those 4 values. I know nothing about grain analysis. Can some get out there decoder ring for me?

Or how about Maris Otter,Oats for "MOO"?
Distillers use the stuff for corn mashes which don't have any of their own.Sure you have to mash differently than you might be used to. (holding several steps) BUt if the stuff works for things devoid of their own conversion power then i'm sure you could put it to use inn a similar situation if you fealt the need to use it.(looks like you don't but there's the info for ya).
MOO!

Or how about Maris Otter,Oats for "MOO"?
Distillers use the stuff for corn mashes which don't have any of their own.Sure you have to mash differently than you might be used to. (holding several steps) BUt if the stuff works for things devoid of their own conversion power then i'm sure you could put it to use inn a similar situation if you fealt the need to use it.(looks like you don't but there's the info for ya).
MOO!

Update:

I opened the lid and I have to say not in a million years would that I would associate green olives with beer but the aroma kind of made me gag a little. LOL

Thank god it didn't taste like green olives!

Which brings up another thought. Gosetini!!!

Malted oats were frequently used to make beer (Ale actually) in the middle ages to decrease cost. Malted barley was more expensive. Often shows up in recipes as "dredge" which was malted oats mixed with malted wheat.

can't wait to hear the results. thinking of having a substantial portion of oat malt to my white stout. as apparently the guys from brewdogs suggest having heaps of oats.

Subscribed out of curiosity, please keep us posted :cross:

Back