Attenuation of GF Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do grains like malted Millet have similar attenuation compared to barley?

This seems like a loaded question... I'd suggest buying and reading John Palmer's 'How to Brew' to understand a little more first.
http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

In particular, chapter 12:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-3.html

Once you have an understanding of extract potential, check out the different potential points for each grain/malt you're interested in.

Fermentable sugars are fermentable sugars, no matter the source. The challenge with GF brewing is converting the GF grain/malts starches to fermentable sugars. There's a few threads right here on page one of the gluten free board that speak to conversion.

Good luck and happy brewing!

Conversion is not my problem. I'm trying to find out if compared to Barley do people see a different attenuation when using malted millet.

I brewed a GF witbier with Malted Millet, Flaked Oaks and Buckwheat. My OG was 1.046, after 8 days I'm at 1.014 after 12 days I'm still at 1.014.

I'm using Wyeast 3944 which I would think would attenuate a little more. So I don't think my question is loaded at all. Grouse recommends that you mash their malted millet at 163 degrees. I know mashing high with barley affects attenuation. Is it the same with Millet.

Yes. It's the same enzymes at play with GF grains. There's lots of info right in this sub-board on this exact subject. Check them out.
I think it's interesting you keep saying conversion isn't your problem since conversion is key to the volume of fermentable sugars available in your wort.
Seriously. Go read John Palmer and check out the other threads on this page. I have a feeling you know a lot about brewing but may be missing some key points.

I don't think this is a loaded question. The attenuation of beers can differ substantially based upon mash temperatures and base ingredients. There are a variety of compounds that can increase the gravity of a wort/beer that are nonetheless unfermentable.

That said, I can't give you a direct answer NTex. I haven't used millet malt myself yet. Experiments using rice malt so far have been confusing; there's a lot going on in a mash, and we just haven't dialed in how all these grains work as well as we have with barley.

The higher mash temp does kinda imply a less-attenuable wort will result. But it could be incomplete conversion too; things like partially-broken down starches adding body but not being fermentable. The rice beers I've been making suffer from similarly low attenuation and I'm suspicious that's the issue. Maybe I should just throw some Beano in a test batch to see if it ferments all the way down or not.

Have you tried adding enzymes? That would let you know if those extra gravity points are from incomplete conversion or not.

But more crucially, does it taste balanced? If it's not too sweet/syrupy then you're probably gonna be fine, you'll just have a lower ABV and a kinda starchy beer. And cloudiness is no issue with a witbeer.

You could check some recipe threads where they used millet as the base to see if other people reported FG; that might give you some idea what you can expect. A lot of people here use enzymes in the mash to help things along though, so you might get different results without them. Like I said, there's a lot we don't have dialed in yet.

Thanks for the info. Last night I roused the yeast to see what will happen. Overall the taste is pretty good. Not sweet. I bottle so I just want to make sure I don't have something over carbonated. When the beer is finished and if it turns out good I will post my recipe and mash schedule.

I believe a saw a post a while back where amylase enzyme was also added to the primary to all the complete attenuation.

I believe a saw a post a while back where amylase enzyme was also added to the primary to all the complete attenuation.

I have done that before. It thinned the body out too much. Made it crystal clear and about 90% attenuation on a pale ale. Tasted fine, but I prefer the bigger body.

I just add 5-15% table sugar to the fermentables to increase attenuation.

Back