New to labeling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbarker777

Reaction score
I am very new to brewing in fact I have not even bottled my first beer it's still fermenting but what's the best way to do labels? What's the cheapest way to do labels that works? And last what's your thoughts on paying for labels like grog tags? Thanks for the help. I think I could have a lot of fun making labels just don't know where to start really.

Grog tag rocks. ("studiopub" gets you 10% off) And you can reuse the labels. But if you are going on the cheap, the paper and whole milk works. Plus there are avery labels you can purchase, but plan on working hard to remove them if you want to reuse your bottles. I used to use brown painters masking tape and a sharpie. That works.

I've heard that milk labels will come off in water a little *too* easily.... Like in a cooler full of melting ice. There's a thread here somewhere about using unflavored gelatin as a label glue. Stays fixed in cold water but comes off easily in warm water... I've never done it though... Code on the cap in sharpie for me :)

Milk won't do for bottles in iced cooler situation. Search gelatin, just use (look up amount here) per (some other amount here) water and brush on. Labels will hold up to iced water and slip right off when rinsed in warm tap water. I use a little 2oz spray bottle.

MS Paint, Google image search, Pixlr, regular paper, glue stick.

attachment.php

Code on the cap in sharpie for me :)

Same here...just remember to put the code either on the cloud or into you (insert brewing software here) recipe notes.

Do not make a dry erase board your final record even if you do take a picture of it with your phone each time you update it. Apparently, it is possible to have a OCD neighbor erase the "gibberish" on the board and for your microSD card in your phone go bad simultaneously.

I like to label my bottles with abstract runes so people have to come to me and ask. My wife is always like "How can you keep up with all of them?" I just tap my noggin and give her a "Now you can't kill me because then you wouldn't know what beer you're reaching for" look. Works so far!

Do not make a dry erase board your final record even if you do take a picture of it with your phone each time you update it. Apparently, it is possible to have a OCD neighbor erase the "gibberish" on the board and for your microSD card in your phone go bad simultaneously.

Hank Hill would just kick that neighbour's ass. It surely wouldn't happen again.

*NB* - I am not condoning violence.

:cross:

I use Avery 5408's on the cap. 1008 labels runs $7 - $8. The cap gets tossed anyway, so there is no label clean up for me.

View attachment 280611

These are what I use, too. Not a fan of cleaning labels more than once. You can still print some pretty neat bottle-cap labels with some template software, and just toss them when you're done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back