Add Clarity Ferm at second fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scaesare

Reaction score
I have 2 brews fermenting that l'm about ready to transfer to a another fermentation vessel for a secondary fermentation. I'd like to try ClarityFerm for these for my wife, who has a gluten sensitivity, to try.

Anybody see an issue with adding it during the secondary fermentation (which will last at least a week) in order to reduce gluten...?

(Apologies for the double post, wasn't sure if this was going to get seen at the end of the long sticky thread...)

Last edited:
I think you missed the boat with this addition. You want to pitch this during your initial pitch to bind to proteins before they bind to other elements in your beer that cause that hazy look.

I would rely on cold crashing at this point to clear your beer and save the clarity ferm for next time.

Oh and don't double post... Moderators hate that ;)

Whoops, I should have been clearer in this context: my goal is gluten reduction specifically...

I believe the correct time to use it is at the same time you pitch the yeast. I would not use it for gluten reduction in the secondary. Just plan accordingly on future batches.

Back