Sprouted Buckwheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jono_uk

Reaction score
Hi guys, after brewing a few non gluten free kits and living in denial about being a coeliac for far too long. I've now decided its time to play by the rules and brewing gluten free seems like the only way I'm going to do so. Having scoured the forum for info, I'm planning to jump in at the deep end and am keen to malt some grains as grouse etc. don't ship to the UK. Whilst hunting out some buckwheat I came across sprouted buckwheat, which has apparently been activated with water and germinated into shoots, then dehydrated below 40 degrees to preserve the raw nutritional value. Forgive me if I'm wrong as I'm inexperienced with all this, but in theory does this mean it has already been malted and has anyone any experiencing using it? Cheers, Jono.

I have no personal experience with these "sprouted grains", but have had the same thought.
They are technically malted, but probably have very little enzyme activity; as I am guessing that the sprouting conditions are not optimized for malt quality.

They may offer nice flavors, and possibly even starch that jelitinizes at a lower temperature than their unmalted counterparts.

With added enzymes, you could certanly make beer from them. Without adding enzymes you might just end up with buckwheat porridge, but we can not be certan untill you try (and report back).

If you can not get gf malt, using unmalted millet and buckwheat with added enzymes can make a very nice base. You could then malt and roast small amounts of specialty grains (not as dificult as it sounds) to add charicter to your beer.

Sprouted isn't the same as malted. They would be considered way under modified malt. So, yes, they wouldn't have the diastic enzymes needed.

Cheers for enlightening me guys. Legume, I was particularly intrigued by a previous post of yours which discussed using unmalted millet and buckwheat with added enzymes.

In your experience what quantities of unmalted millet and buckwheat does it take to achieve a reasonable OG? I've also read that unmalted versions of these grains can produce undesirable flavours, is that why you advise to malt and roast some to use as specialty grains?

First things first, it seems I better try my hand at malting some small amounts of these grains to maybe steep or mash for use in an extract batch.

My best beer so far (a pale ale) used a base of un malted millet and buckwheat (mostly millet).
I used malted rice to add a little malty charicter.
I do not detect any off flavors in doing this, the result has been more "beer like" than any of the extract batches I have made or any of the comercial GF beers I have tried.
You can PM me with your e mail and I will send you a detailed explanation of what I did.

Hey man. I live in Wakefield, down the road from you probably. :) Welcome to the group. I malt and roast all of my own buckwheat. Not had much luck with millet, but I am going to be trying again soon. Buckwheat you can buy in bulk from Healthy Supplies website. Just Google it and it will come straight up. There is also now a health food shop in Free Port which has Millet for about £1.50ish for 500g. Or did the last time I was in there the other week. Best thing you can do is malt your own. Doesn't take too much time up. About 2kg is enough for 5 gallons, when you also add some sugars like Golden Syrup or Demerara etc. Asda's own Golden Syrup is a few quid for why more that Lyles. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Cheers for the input Legume, can't help but feel like I'm jumping the gun as such but may well take you up on that offer. Thanks. Ash, after sifting through the forum I became aware of and inspired by your success and ventures as a Yorkshire coeliac brewer :). Infact I was so inspired I pm'd you to ask your advice actually! As a spoilt Yorkshireman ale wise, I'm sure you understand that I can't see myself sticking to a gluten free diet unless I can brew some quality beer to fight of the urges! Man, I wish gluten free malt was readily available here.. seems as though malting my own is the only way. It all seems overwhelming at the moment but I'm a insanely stubborn and am longing for pay day so I can makes some investments and get cracking on! Cheers again for the info guys :mug:

Yeah, it's something I would like to pursue business wise, but it's a question of demands and current finances...

Saw that a message had been sent, but couldn't read it... I started reading up from old books and looked into how bitter is done, and it seemed perfect as a base, as it mixes grains and sugars such as treacle and golden syrup. You can then mix your own hop schedules for it to make pale ales or larger's etc. Stouts are quite hard to achieve, but aiming for it later in the year. Have you brewed Barley beer before being diagnosed?

It's hard to believe the gap in the market hasn't already been filled considering how recognised coeliac disease has become in recent years.

I have brewed a few barley kits, adding steeped grains and hops, but no boils to present. As I say, I'm planning on picking up a propane burner and stock pot and getting to grips with extract shortly. I've heard darker beers are tough to recreate but I conveniently sway towards bitters, pale ales and IPA's anyway.

Whilst experimenting with that I'd like try my hand at malting some grains on the side, as I'm pretty set on trying to produce the best gf beer I can. I'm interested to hear about the bitter style base, does that consist of unmalted grains then or are you using your own? I did buy Graham Wheelers BYO British Real Ale and was hoping to adapt some of those recipes. Any stand out books you'd recommend?

Cheers, Jono.

Hey man,

Just to let you know, I have successfully malted the millet from the Healthfood shop in Freeport. Roasting in the next day or two. Still avoid the one from Holland and Barrett, though.

Back