rice partial mash experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legume

Reaction score
So I had 6 lbs of rice syrup laying around, and I decided to do a partial mash all rice batch with it.

The trouble with rice syrup is that it provides no body or flavor to the beer. The good thing about rice syrup is that it has no off flavors (unlike sorghum).

So I did a partial mash with the goal of adding flavor and body to the thin rice syrup base.
To get maximum body (dextrines) out of my mini mash I used only alpha amylase and did not use any glucoamylase.

I mashed 5 lbs of Eckert rice malts at 175 F, with 1 tbsp of Termamyl (heat stable alpha amylase) for 1 hour. This was added to 6 lbs of rice syrup and went on to the boil.

I would never do a mash like this for an all grain batch, as the result would be a very sweet beer with a high final gravity...but in this case it added exactly what the rice syrup was missing ( body and flavor).

This was a very easy way to make a high quality extract / partial mash batch.

I just tasted a sample after 2 weeks in the fermentor...I am quite excited about it, it is exelent.

I would recomend this as a great introduction to GF brewing. Easy brew day, with tasty results.

That's good to hear. I have been looking at doing the same thing for quick easy batches in the winter. Keep us updated.

An update on the rice extract / rice malt partial mash batch.

This turned out great!
It was not teribly expensive.
It took less time than my all grain batches.
It did not require the use of ingredients that are dificult to obtain.

Doing a hign temp mini mash (175 ish) with a thermo stable alpha amylase, then suplementing with rice syrup is an easy aproach to making good GF homebrew.
My only complaint is that it pours a little cloudy, just as all of my rice extract containing batches do. I can think of ways to fix this, but it does not bother me much.

The recipe for this IPA/hoppy amber, is below:

OG 1.058
FG 1.020 (I know this sounds high, but it works with the rice syrup that normally lacks body)
ABV 5

Mash,
2 lb Biscut rice malt
2 lb crystal rice malt
12 oz James brown rice malt
4 oz dark rice malt
1 Tbs Termamyl (thermo stable a amylase)

Add mash ingredients to 2 gal water and heat to 175 stiring continuously.
Rest at 175 for 60 minutes, stiring every 20 min.
Sparge into brew pot

6 Lbs rice syrup
1 oz magnum hops (60 min)
1/2 whirlfloc tab (15 min)
1 Tbsp yeast nutrient (15 min)
1/2 oz centennial hop (10 min)
1/2 oz Citra hop (5 min)
1/2 oz centinnial hop (5 min)
2.5 oz Citra hop (whirlpool)
2 oz centennial hop (whirlpool)

1 lb D45 candi syrup (added directly to primary)

1 packet of US05 yeast.

Dry hop:
2 oz Galaxy
1 oz Citra

This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for, thank you. I've been wanting to ditch sorghum somehow, but don't quite have the space for AG. Plus I have access to brown rice syrup at Whole Foods.

Now I just have to get around the mill problem... it seems no one wants to sell malted & milled GF grain. My apt is already pretty cramped for a mill...

I use a corona style mill, even for allgrain batches...they are not all that big, and can be stored in the 5 gal bucket that you use to catch the milled grain.
I am also space limited.

Legume, what batch size is your recipe? Sorry if it's there and I missed it.

It was a 5.5 gal batch

if I had it to do over again I might cut the 60 min hop addition to .7 or .8 oz of Magnum, and add a pound of buckwheat to the mash; but over all I am very hapy with it.

@ Legume
That is a very interesting approach to the partial mash, especially with the rice. I was always so preoccupied with trying to get good efficiency that I never experimented with high percentage of roasted grain to prioritize the malt flavor and body.

That is an aggressive hop schedule for sure. Not sure how long you whirlpool before dropping the temp, but if my calculations are right, this batch is somewhere 50 and 90 IBU with a ton of hop aroma!

We get to read about all these interesting batches and methods but it is a shame that we can't sample them. Would be great if participation of GF homebrewers in beer festivals became large enough that you could travel to a festival and have the opportunity to sample and compare notes with a bunch of others.

The whirlpool was 20 minutes, and I seem to have more bitterness coming from those late additions than I expected...this is why I said that I might cut down the 60 min hop addition next time.

Back