Guinness clone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
Hello I found this recipe and I was wondering what malt extract I could substitute for the 5.0 lbs English 2 Row Pale Malt? Otherwise does this seem like it would come out good?

5.0 lbs English 2 Row Pale Malt
2.5 lbs. Flaked Barley
1.0 lb. Roasted Barley
12 AAU Kent Goldings 60 min.
1084 Irish Ale
Mash at 151 degrees for 60 minutes
If you are an extract brewer you can substitute the 5 lbs of English 2 row for 4.3 lbs of liquid malt extract. You will still have to steep the flaked barley and roasted barley for 1 hour at about 155 degrees.
Once the beer has fermented, pour off a pint into a glass let it sit at room temp for a week. Make sure to put a wet cloth over the top to keep any bugs and nasties out. Then boil that pint for about 5 minutes cool and then add back to the beer. This will give the beer the slightly sour taste that Guinness has.
Of course if you want the famous Guinness head and creaminess you'll need a nitrogen tap system.

Thanks!!

That's the basic ratio:

65% Base griain
25% Flaked Barley
10% Roast Barley

One of the simples recipes around.

Course, I usually just toss in an ounce or two of acidulated malt to get ths sourness.

conpewter said:
You will still have to steep the flaked barley and roasted barley for 1 hour at about 155 degrees.

That seems like a long time to steep grains. If you put some 2-row in there and used the right ratio of water to grains, you'll extract sugars from the flaked barley (at least the AHS site says so) in a partial mash. You'll need the two-row for the enzyme action. Otherwise, I'd think you could steep for just 15-20 minutes.

Well I'm looking into doing my first all-grain to do this recipe. I'm reading up on it (never actually read the all-grain portion of HowToBrew.com before) and I'll probably not have much of a brew structure but I'll build a mash tun and I already have 2 turkey fryers so thats 1 for HLT and one for the boil kettle.

Anyway since there is so much flaked barley in this recipe will I need to do a rest for

"Beta Glucanase 95-113°F Best gum breaking rest."

or do I need a protein rest above that temp (113 - 130) instead or in addition to?

conpewter said:
...Anyway since there is so much flaked barley in this recipe will I need to do a rest for "Beta Glucanase 95-113°F Best gum breaking rest."
or do I need a protein rest above that temp (113 - 130) instead or in addition to?

I never do a rest for a stout. You want that gumminess as a texture enhancer.

I would definitely (especially since this is your first AG batch) throw in a pound of presoaked rice hulls to avoid a stuck sparge.

Until you know your equipment better, take all precautions to keep that barley from sticking up your process.

Well I got the ingredients but I may have ordered something wrong. I was ordering from AHS and bought the black roasted barley since it's the only thing that said "Roasted Barley" but I was wondering if black roast is the same thing as the roasted barley in the recipe?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_71_112&products_id=110

Also could not find any Kent Goldlings so was planning on using some Fuggle or Willamette hops. I don't imagine it will be too different considering it's for bittering not aroma/flavor

Back