Single Infusion Mash for Millet? Too good to be true?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haven't tried glutenberg yet. hear there's another outfit called ghostfish in washington that is doing a similar thing.

I have never seen anything I would consider even decent for GF out there. I'm around philly as well, is there some place out of the area i can try some of these?

Glutenberg is distributed to NY & NJ so you might find it there. Don't think it is available in PA. Other than Greens it's the only other worth drinking. Ghostfish and Ground Breaker are good but only in OR.

There are a few shops right across the state line that have glutenberg. Also, check out Aurochs brewing in Pittsburgh. You can't get it outside of Pittsburgh but, it is a little closer than Oregon. I haven't tried it myself because every time I'm near there, the tap room is closed. They have weird hours.

Also, for the record, I think my beer is better than glutenberg. I'm biased though. :D

I have never seen anything I would consider even decent for GF out there. I'm around philly as well, is there some place out of the area i can try some of these?
You can get it at various places in NJ. Joe Canals locations has their beers.

I brought it up because I've found it to be quite a solid GF offering and I was wondering how it compared to the beers brewed with the techniques mentioned in this thread. To he honest, it doesn't seem worth the time, effort, and especially cost to maybe make something comparable to Glutenberg. I just don't think the GF brewing process is there yet unfortunately.

The time, effort and cost are definitely a factor and it is not worth it if you don't enjoy the process of brewing for sure. My experience is that even as a mediocre brewer, I can brew better GF beer than I can buy at any store within 100 miles of my house. If I had a professional GF brewery in my area where I could go get GF beers on tap, that might be a different story but there are none. I think it is like fresh bread ... bread fresh out of the oven is always better than packaged bread off the shelf even if the bread off the shelf is made by a professional. Fresh, unpasteurized beer can easily be better then that packaged. I welcome the day when I can buy GF beer that is better than GF beer that I brew, but I fear that day will not come any time soon. Even gluten reduced beers like Omission fall short compared to most of the ones I brew.

I buy Redbridge, Greens, Bards and New Planet and I don't complain, but they are NOT as good as mine and they won't be as good as yours.

If you don't want to go through the trouble, then there is no shame in buying the stuff off the shelf and just be glad that at least there are options! We homebrewers are all a little crazy, but I think it is rewarding when you can produce something that is superior to anything you can buy. Most barley brewers cannot say that because there are so many commercial barley brew options.

The time is about the same as normal. I spend about 40 minutes around 25F and then 2 hours at 165F dropping to 155-60F by the end of the rest. I read through my previous AG batches and I did have a higher percentage of pale malt in this last batch. Maybe that and using flaked corn are the biggest contributors.

Maybe this is reaching, but I did not refrigerate the diatase enzyme this time before using it. I would not think that enzymes would be good with anything but very high temps, so I cannot imagine this has anything to do with it.

When you say 25F do you mean 25C? Do you add any enzymes other than amylaze to the mash?

Thanks Jeremy! Ooops, yes, that is 125F for the first rest. I will edit the post. Basically I dough in at the temperature the directions say the enzymes are best at and then go up ~165F for the final rest. The final rest is per the enzyme directions and also consistent with a lot of the advice in this thread so I felt pretty good about it. The enzymes are diatase from E C Kraus:
http://www.eckraus.com/2-oz-diatase-enzyme.html
I did not use other enzymes. I have cataloged a lot of advice on other enzymes but just never got around to buying and using them.

Hello Group,
I just watched their video on the glutenberg web sight...nice! I malt my own Millet and roast for the my recipes at home in the equipment I have also made to suit. It takes some time to get a malt to glass this way so I'am very happy to see a brewery that has invested all its product to Gluten free. They will do well I have no doubt. I have to wait in Ontario for them to set up shipping unless I want to drive to Quebec some 12hrs away for a GF beer.
That being said I also hope that us home brewers don't give up our hobby just because we can now buy it. It's temping but it's not as rewarding. I'm still setting up my process to get the best time and efficiency. I have many things to have to prove out because as I change the malt it changes the way it brews so keeping good records is a must. I might try some enzyme to improve the natural occurring in the malts some time. Good thread info

Thanks for the follow ups.

Just to be clear, I was not intending to discourage people from GF brewing. I was just attempting to gauge the caliber of results from those who have had success compared against the only commercial example I've found acceptable. With a 13 month old, I personally, have found it hard to commit (time, effort, and money) to the processes that are still being tested, but this is an extremely valuable thread I will be eagerly following. The findings people continue to post I hope and believe will help solidify a GF brewing process that will consistently produce quality results.

PhillyBrewer, congratulations on the addition to your family.
You could be the first to post a BrewPlayPen design. Would have to be off the ground so that the little one would not be affected by spilling fluid, would have to be away from open flames and risk of contact with splashing hot liquid, would have to have something other than homebrew in the bottle to sooth but would need to be able to be close enough to be part of the action. Could end up being a family tradition in 19 years and 11 months! :)

I can confirm good results with single infusion mashes and grouse malts. I am using Termamyl (liquid amylase) and mashing for 90 mins at 158F, BIAB style in a 10 gal igloo. I did a brown ale last night that will be more a Cascadian brown but that's more due to another screw up (I left hops in overnight, during my no chill phase) than mashing millet! ;)

Its in primary now so a lot can go wrong, knock wood, but the wort tasted great when I did a gravity reading this am.

I can confirm good results with single infusion mashes and grouse malts. I am using Termamyl (liquid amylase) and mashing for 90 mins at 158F, BIAB style in a 10 gal igloo. I did a brown ale last night that will be more a Cascadian brown but that's more due to another screw up (I left hops in overnight, during my no chill phase) than mashing millet! ;)

Its in primary now so a lot can go wrong, knock wood, but the wort tasted great when I did a gravity reading this am.

Well a lot did go wrong!

Spokane had a wind storm and we lost power for a week, and 2 days into fermentation. Temps were in the 30s all week and I had to move the bucket into the only heated room with a gas fireplace but only after temps dropped to 60F in the bucket. I got the temps back up to mid 60s then got busy with other things during the blackout and the temps spiked to 72F in the bucket or so at one point (ugh). I don't think it got so high as to create off flavores but the beer is still green. Anyway once we got power back, racked to a keg and its been carbing for a few days. Its about 75% carbed and still tastes green but there's a bit more twang than I had before in my IPAs. I also have no head at all and the beer tastes a little "thin". I did not use any maltodextrin this time and I notice it. All in all its a nice brown ale but it needs some improvements for next time around. Trying to think ahead for the next batch....

What are people doing for head retention besides maltodextrin? Buckwheat? If so, how do you incorporate it into your recipe and brewday process? Chris? Legume?

I use buckwheat for head retention. Not sure if maltodextrin helps but i don't use it on AG. The one time i used it on an AG batch it was too much. I don't know of anything else.
I carb to 14 to 16 psi and don't pour large glasses so it always feels like it lasts :)

I use buckwheat for head retention. Not sure if maltodextrin helps but i don't use it on AG. The one time i used it on an AG batch it was too much. I don't know of anything else.
I carb to 14 to 16 psi and don't pour large glasses so it always feels like it lasts :)

Hey Chris, I'm going to incorporate Bob's Red Mill Buckwheat Groats into my next batch. Using about 17lbs of Grouse Malt, as indicated here:

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/grapefruit-ipa-v5

Would you recommend 1lb of buckwheat, or 2lbs?

I typically use 2 lb for a 5 gallon batch but i don't really have a basis for that amount. I don't think it adds much for flavor so i don't use a lot of it. I use pale malt buckwheat, so i count it with the base. If you are using groats, you might want to use 1 lb.

Just read the link. Looks good!
With 19 pounds of grain and one pound of rice hulls, that is just over 1 quart/pound for the mash. Stiff!

Let us know how it turns out!

I typically use 2 lb for a 5 gallon batch but i don't really have a basis for that amount. I don't think it adds much for flavor so i don't use a lot of it. I use pale malt buckwheat, so i count it with the base. If you are using groats, you might want to use 1 lb.

Just read the link. Looks good!
With 19 pounds of grain and one pound of rice hulls, that is just over 1 quart/pound for the mash. Stiff!

Let us know how it turns out!

Thanks, will do 1lb this time.

I'm going to omit the rice hulls actually. Ive been reducing them with each batch and I think with BIAB they're not needed at all.

Back