Gluten Free might just be getting better! A LOT BETTER!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok what if I told you, you could buy a rice that was already malted and kilned to several different levels that you could use to make an AG Gluten free BEER AND we have several recipes that make VERY VERY drinkable BEER! A very nice Pale Ale an AMAZING Belgian Beer (this one BLEW ME AWAY!) and a Black Lager that is out of this world. Would you be interested?

May 3rd we had BIG BREW day at the store and with that came a local rice maltster showing off his BEER and his RICE! I was BLOWN AWAY! I brought in hundreds of pounds of this rice I was so impressed withe the beer and the product.

Is there any interest?

Let me know, we are looking at adding all of these to the website, and will step it up if there is interest.

Cheers
Jay

Is the maltster distributing out to other states or would I have to order it and have it shipped. SWMBO is gluten-free and is looking for a drinkable gf brew. Nothing commercial is palatable for her, and she's looking for variety from her hard ciders. I've been researching gf brews and was hoping that eventually there would be something that wouldn't have the gf "twang" to it. Cali is a ways away, as I'm in IL.

Hell yeah! I have a bunch of friends that are GF, and used to love my brews. Really trying to get something whipped up for them that will be good. They were used to great normal beer, so standards are high. Im in CA too, so shouldn't be a shipping problem.

Is the maltster distributing out to other states or would I have to order it and have it shipped. SWMBO is gluten-free and is looking for a drinkable gf brew. Nothing commercial is palatable for her, and she's looking for variety from her hard ciders. I've been researching gf brews and was hoping that eventually there would be something that wouldn't have the gf "twang" to it. Cali is a ways away, as I'm in IL.

I'd be willing to spilt an order with you.

Yup, I'm in. What kind of price point are we working with here? Also, any special mashing procedure we should know about? I would be very interested. Thanks!

Also, I will give you a bit of a shout out. Jay's products are top notch. I have your false bottom with level 3 stand. Thing is a tank! "Cheers" :mug:

Maltster is in the US and we are the first to carry his products anywhere.
We will be adding this to the website in the next week or so, so keep close watch. I have a special MILL being built so I can close the gap enough to be able to mill it for you guys. My Monster Mill wont do it.

Hell yeah! I have a bunch of friends that are GF, and used to love my brews. Really trying to get something whipped up for them that will be good. They were used to great normal beer, so standards are high. Im in CA too, so shouldn't be a shipping problem.

Ohh man! I just might have to meet you at 50/50 in Truckee and hand deliver if you buy the beers! LOL

Yup, I'm in. What kind of price point are we working with here? Also, any special mashing procedure we should know about? I would be very interested. Thanks!

Also, I will give you a bit of a shout out. Jay's products are top notch. I have your false bottom with level 3 stand. Thing is a tank! "Cheers" :mug:

I am trying to get the price point down as much as I can. It is spendy I am not going to lie and with it being rice there is the 20-25% more needed for the same OG of barley, but I think for what were offering and what your getting its going to be very doable.

Thanks for the shout out man I am very glad you like it and it is working well for you. I hear the term TANK all the time with it, I might just have to park my F250 Diesel on one and just see if it will take it! My guess is....YES!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the shout out man I am very glad you like it and it is working well for you. I hear the term TANK all the time with it, I might just have to park my F250 Diesel on one and just see if it will take it! My guess is....YES!

Cheers
Jay

Ha! I demand a YouTube video of that!

We are definitely used to paying high end for malt. (Don't take that as an "I can jack the price up.") ;) I think we are all willing to pay if the quality is right. Currently, I pay $3 per pound after shipping. Hope yours comes in cheaper...

Let us know if this becomes available and I will be one of the firsts to try it. I will even run test mashes for efficiency if need be.

Ha! I demand a YouTube video of that!

We are definitely used to paying high end for malt. (Don't take that as an "I can jack the price up.") ;) I think we are all willing to pay if the quality is right. Currently, I pay $3 per pound after shipping. Hope yours comes in cheaper...

Let us know if this becomes available and I will be one of the firsts to try it. I will even run test mashes for efficiency if need be.

You Tube Video is a total MUST!

No I wont be "Jacking" up any prices were actually lowering prices just about EVERY DAY on the website AND in the store. Have you seen our hop prices lately? LOL
Anyway Base malt SHOULD be around $2.40 or less and the darkest of all darkest (We call it GAS HOG) should be less than $4.20 a pound Everything else SHOULD be somewhere in the middle of all that.

This is just BALL PARK but you can get the idea.

Cheers
Jay

Is it malted or processed on shared equipment with barley?
I am intrested, but only if it really gluten free...not contaminated with traces of barley.
If you could provide a link to the manufacturer that would help to put my mind at ease, as I could contact them and get a feel for their process.
This does sound promising.
thanks

Is it malted or processed on shared equipment with barley?
I am intrested, but only if it really gluten free...not contaminated with traces of barley.
If you could provide a link to the manufacturer that would help to put my mind at ease, as I could contact them and get a feel for their process.
This does sound promising.
thanks

Gladly! The ONLY thing they process is rice. So I know 100% with out a doubt, cross contaminated is not even possible. I personally am even bringing in a mill that will ONLY mill rice and corn, and do it in a room that will not even have barley in it at all. This is a HUGE investment on our part to keep this actually gluten free and let me tell you I am going to do EVERYTHING in my power to keep this 100% gluten free for you guys.

Cheers
Jay

This is awesome, and great timing. My friends are excited. They were hoping they could drop in on their way back to from Portland to Carson trip soon, so any ETAs?

Ohh man! I just might have to meet you at 50/50 in Truckee and hand deliver if you buy the beers! LOL

Didn't see this a second ago, cool that it sounds like the wait wont be long.

And I will absolutely take you up on that offer! Maybe I can even convince someone to open one of their Pappy aged Eclipses. :D

I am very interested jaybird! Looks like you may be near Reno where I am? Btw, new to the forum and have been AG gf brewing for about 18 months now! Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks xj. I found his homebrew shop online

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Is the enzyme that Widmer is using in their omission beers available to home brew shops? IMO, it looks very promising for GF brewing since you can use typical beer ingredients and simply add an enzyme that breaks down the gluten. It gets the gluten content down to low enough levels to be certified gluten free in many states. The head brewer said their tasting panels had no idea that they started secretly treating their normal beers with the enzyme.

Ok you guys. The grain room is getting set up Friday in a completely different part of the store to keep it Kosher. We have a new scale being installed in that room to ALSO keep it all Kosher. We have 6 specialty rice on our site you can see them HERE we have the mill in hand I have a company meeting planed for Saturday to discuss the process for milling and filling orders that come in that are Gluten Free to keep your orders Kosher. We will be milling and filling orders on Saturday afternoon.

I have Recipes in hand from the maltster you can read a little article HERE on a customer of ours working with Vaughn Dillman (owner of Mt Shasta Brewing Company) and the maltster building a beer for Mt Shasta Brewing Company.

Hope that helps you guys out.

PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can do to answer your questions or direct you to someone that can.

Cheers
Jay

Looks great, I am really intrested in the crystal rice malt.

I have a sugestion.
I am a celiac and only brew GF, and am not an all grain brewer.
If you are going to focus on supplying GF brewing supplies, you might start carrying some of the other common GF items that homebrewers order. Adding Briess brown rice and sorghum syrups to your inventorry would make you more of a 1 stop shop for GF brewers. I love Briess rice syrup for doing partial mash batches...I malt my own specialty grains to add flavor and boddy to the rice extract. If I could order everything I needed to brew ( rice syrup, specialty rice malt, candi syrup, maltodextrine, gf yeast nutrient, and gf yeast) in one place... I would be a happy camper. You already carry most of these items ( you have an exelent selection of gf dry yeast). Add briess rice syrup and you have a coustomer for life.

I have a sugestion.
If you are going to focus on supplying GF brewing supplies, you might start carrying some of the other common GF items that homebrewers order. Adding Briess brown rice and sorghum syrups to your inventorry would make you more of a 1 stop shop for GF brewers. I love Briess rice syrup for doing partial mash batches...I malt my own specialty grains to add flavor and boddy to the rice extract. If I could order everything I needed to brew ( rice syrup, specialty rice malt, candi syrup, maltodextrine, gf yeast nutrient, and gf yeast) in one place... I would be a happy camper. You already carry most of these items ( you have an exelent selection of gf dry yeast). Add briess rice syrup and you have a coustomer for life.

We do have Briess Rice syrup (or the rice syrup solids anyway) and Sorghum as well. I will have Victor get that stuff on the site tomorrow or Friday.
Do you know of a GF nutrient I should be looking for? I will happily bring in ALL the GF stuff I can get my hands on for you guys.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I will look for the Brown Rice from Briess tomorrow and get a bag of that on the way.

Cheers
Jay

I have a sugestion.

Is it Briess "brown rice flakes" or whole rice that you guys use? I can get the flakes but didn't see the whole rice.

Cheers
Jay

Briess makes a brown rice syrup.

They also make a sorghum DME, which nobody seems to carry anymore. That would be nice to have around if you're doing gluten free, all grain, in case you miss your target gravity.

Can you post any of the recipes on this thread? I've never brewed an all-grain gluten free beer, but would be very interested!

So I just got off the phone with JD at White Labs and he was explaining to me Servomyces yeast nutrient.
The Servomyces is gluten free. What it is, is a strain of yeast that has been fed very high doses of nutrient and Zink.

Then we were discussing the benefits of using Clarity Ferm in your beers.. It seems like a great enzyme that can be used to greatly reduce the gluten "IF ANY" that happens to end up in your finished beer. you can read about it HERE

I think we are all well on our way for you guys.

Cheers
Jay

Briess makes a brown rice syrup.

They also make a sorghum DME, which nobody seems to carry anymore. That would be nice to have around if you're doing gluten free, all grain, in case you miss your target gravity.

I will look and see if is still available from them

Can you post any of the recipes on this thread? I've never brewed an all-grain gluten free beer, but would be very interested!

Yes I will for sure. I will be getting my hands on them later today and posting them up later tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers
Jay

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Gluten_Free.htm#brs

This is the brown rice syrup I am talking about.
fantastic stuff for partial mash gf brewing.
It does not have the off flavors that the more popular sorghum extract has, all of my best beers have been based on this product.
I currently get it from annapolis homebrew, but if your specialty rice malts turn out to be good products, I will want to start using them and would like to be able to order everything from one place.
Thanks for consitering the GF homebrew comunity.

THIS BEER RECIPE IS GLUTEN REDUCED WELL BELOW THE 10PPM NEEDED TO CALL IT GLUTEN FREE.

5 gallon IPA
Mash at 152 for 60 min
Grain bill:
18lb Pale malt RICE
6lb Biscuit malt RICE
2lb Crystal malt RICE

2oz Cascade boiling hops
1/2oz Simcoe mid boil hops
1/2oz Willamette late addition hops
Yeast: Lallemand BRYT-97 American West Coast Ale yeast
Finished beer transferred through Hop Rocket with 1oz Cascade going to brite keg
Original gravity 1.056

I had this beer at the Big Brew Day May 3 at the store and was blown away!

I will post the Belgian recipe tomorrow sometime.

A small bit of info from the guy that brewed the beers and malted the rice.
He had a sample sent to White Labs for all his beers to get analyzed and all the beers we share the recipes too came back "within style" Now this was before he told them they were gluten free and made with ONLY rice. That is real cool!

Cheers
Jay

New Gluten Free start to our site with all the RICE listed

EVERYTHING on that page is Gluten Free. The majority of the rice is at the bottom. We still have plenty to do to organize that page but we are trying to list teh RICE and everything else on our site that IS gluten free in one spot. I am ordering Clarity Ferm and trying to get my hands on all the other stuff you guys listed. I will update as it all comes in.

I am not a gluten free brewer but I love this since I have been itching to try some gf brewing for family and friends. This would make things much easier for me to source and know for sure it was gf. Thanks Jay!

I am not a gluten free brewer but I love this since I have been itching to try some gf brewing for family and friends. This would make things much easier for me to source and know for sure it was gf. Thanks Jay!

Your very welcome!

Give me a little bit and I will post up the Belgian Beer! I am going to brew this. It is next on the list.

Cheers
Jay

THIS BEER RECIPE IS GLUTEN REDUCED WELL BELOW THE 10PPM NEEDED TO CALL IT GLUTEN FREE.

Belgian

5 gallon AG batch
Mash at 150 for 60 min

Grain bill:
20lb Pale malt RICE
2lb Crystal malt RICE

1oz Cascade boiling hops
1/2oz Spalt Select & 1/2oz Willamette mid to late boil hops
Yeast: White Labs 500 Trappist or WLP 410 Belgian Wit II
Original gravity around 1.052

Enjoy

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for dong this, it's really great to see people catering to us glutarded people! I'm curious what the mashing regiment looks like and how malted rice tastes in comparison to malted millet.

I don't want to be a preachy Patty but, White Labs yeast is not gluten free. It's not a problem for most but, you might want to put an asterisks next to that last recipe.

Also.... wow, that is a lot of malt for one recipe! You must be accounting for terrible efficiency on our systems because rice should have a fairly high extract. Enzymes may be required.

Honestly, it looks like... SCIENCE is required! I am going to run a battery once I get mine. What gap are you milling this at? Also, will you be posting malt analysis for color?

Thanks for the recipes, Jay!

Most liquid yeasts are not gluten free because the yeast are grown on barley. It might be that the PPM of gluten is low enough to be considered gluten free when it's pitched into 5 gallons of wort. If that's the case, it might be safe for some, but still a problem for others. Maybe put a warning in the description stating that or something...

I pitched Wlp002 in a cider, and my wife has celiacs. No issues with her drinking the cider.

Back