McEwan's No.1 Champion Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
By request.

modified from Beer Captured

11 oz. Torrified Wheat
9 oz. British 55°L Crystal Malt
2 oz. British Roasted Barley
1 oz. Peated Malt

6.00 lb. Muntons Light DME
1.75 lb. Alexanders Light LME
1.75 lb. Alexanders Amber LME
8 oz. Invert Sugar
1/3 oz. Burton Water Salts

1.75 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 5.4% AA (6.8 HBU) - 60 min.

1/4 oz Fuggles - 15 min.
1/4 oz Hallertau - 15 min.
1 tsp. Irish Moss

White Labs #WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

5.5 gallons.
OG: 1.079
IBU: 25

Thank you sir..........
Last night when I was making my EKU, I was approaching the hot break and blowing on the foam to keep it down. Well, I did not realize I had a cough drop in my mouth. So, to make a long story short, I blew the last half in the wort, and boiled it in for about 3 hrs. LOLOLOLOL......oh well. Guess instead of an Optimator, I now have a Mentholator. Halls Cherry Mentholated cough drop. Wonder what weird flavors I will get with it. :cross:

14.5 lb. Golden Promise 2-row
11 oz. Torrified Wheat
19 oz. British 55°L Crystal Malt
4 oz. British Roasted Barley
2 oz. Peated Malt

8 oz. Invert Sugar

1.5 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 5.4% AA (6.8 HBU) (bittering)

1/4 oz Styrian Goldings (flavor)
1/4 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (flavor)
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Batch Size: 6 gallons
SRM: 21

Awesome. Thanks for the AG recipe. Would this be similar to the McEwan's Scotch Ale that is so so tasty?

sonvolt said:
Awesome. Thanks for the AG recipe. Would this be similar to the McEwan's Scotch Ale that is so so tasty?
Actually, this recipe is closer to Belhaven Wee Heavy than it is to McEwan's Scotch Ale, IMHO. McEwans has a bit more mouthfeel than Belhaven, and is darker, richer, and fruitier. I've found that the Clone Brews clone of Traquair House Ale is very close to the export version of McEwans Scotch Ale...the extract version of that is floating around somewhere...I'll post the AG version shortly.

El Pistolero said:
By request
By popular request it seems! I've been meaning to do a thread search/ask you for it! Thank you for the (Extract) Recipe!
Next time you pop one open I'd love to see a pic like you did with your Hobgoblin clone. I realise a comparison (I'm obviously not sure how easily you get the 'real' stuff in El P Shire) may be hard to do but just a pic of yours would suit my curiosity as the hobgob looked good! :rockin:

I brewed this a number of weeks ago and it is probably one of the best beers that I have brewed. The only difference was that I used a Edinburgh yeast in mine. I recommend this brew for anyone looking for a scotish ale. I think that I am going to try the Meter Maid's Scotch Ale recipe that El Pistolero posted a few weeks ago next. :)

I'm having McEwan's for the first time right now and it is freakin awesome. I'm definitely brewing something like this.

I'm planning to use s-33 for this. Any thoughts on that?

McEwan's No.1 Champion Ale[/

14.5 lb. Golden Promise 2-row
11 oz. Torrified Wheat
19 oz. British 55°L Crystal Malt
4 oz. British Roasted Barley
2 oz. Peated Malt

8 oz. Invert Sugar

1.5 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 5.4% AA (6.8 HBU) (bittering)

1/4 oz Styrian Goldings (flavor)
1/4 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (flavor)
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Batch Size: 6 gallons
SRM: 21

Where is the mash schedule?

Back