honey instead of sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10borderline11brew

Reaction score
hey im new to the forum and also to soda making. i was wondering about switching the sugar in the recipes to just honey as the sweetener. ill be using forced carbonation instead of fermenting, so yeast wont be a problem. what is the rate for sugar to honey, and is there a certain type of honey i should use, like a lighter or a darker? thanks in advance.

I dunno, but in reading about honey they seem to say favor the mildest pale. An agave promotion site calls it equally sweet to honey http://www.allaboutagave.com/substituting-agave-nectar-for-other-sugars.php and thus probably honey can use same formula i quote below. They do say honey can kill infants thru botulism and has twice the glycemic index of agave. But i'm more interested in their claim honey or agave is almost twice as sweet than corn syrup... maybe it's almost affordable, except vs high fructose cs.

Substituting Agave Nectar for Granulated Sugar

White Sugar
For each cup of white sugar replaced, use 2/3 of a cup of agave and reduce other liquids by 1/4 to 1/3 cup. This substitution will also work for Demerara Sugar, Turbinado Sugar, Evaporated Cane Juice, or Sucanat.

Maple is supposed to be an even better alternative in the diet anyway if you're considering GI or mineral/nutritional content.... Grade A is a lighter flavor, Grade B has a more pronounced Maple flavor. From what I've read anyway ;)

Back