I couldnt believe my ears!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trizzle

Reaction score
With a busy work schedule, I really plan my brew days, it's my time. So sitting down to dinner with my wife, she says she notices how much I enjoy brewing and she said she's interested. My jaw dropped, i couldnt believe it! and so I invited her to help me out tmrw! Shes into it as of now and is full of questions. So I'm running through the process so she can help out.

Has anyone else had their wife help them brew?!?!

With a busy work schedule, I really plan my brew days, it's my time. So sitting down to dinner with my wife, she says she notices how much I enjoy brewing and she said she's interested. My jaw dropped, i couldnt believe it! and so I invited her to help me out tmrw! Shes into it as of now and is full of questions. So I'm running through the process so she can help out.

No, thankfully. It's a hobby I like to do without my wife.

My girlfriend likes to brew with me from time to time and she usually helps me bottle. The trick is to not overload her with info or she'll stop being amused. Keep it simple and fun if you want her to help again.

My wife has helped me bottle in the past when I have asked her. I usually don't get help from her and that's fine with me. It's my hobby/passion and not hers. We have been together for close to 30 years and there is a reason for that.

ButchV12

My wife said to me this weekend that she really can't stand the smells of brew day. I suppose that means she will never want to help me.

Man, you got to jump on that right now!

After that you guys should totally plan some beers and start planning some equipment upgrades too!

My wife occasionally comes out to talk while I'm brewing. Mostly she tells me either how bad the process smells or what a mess I'm making in the garage. She will also ask questions that can be fun to answer. The important thing is she loves my beer and because of that is all for my hobby.

No, thankfully. It's a hobby I like to do without my wife.

My girlfriend does enjoy helping with bottling (which I'm very thankful for) and label design. But I agree, in a relationship it's important to have interests/hobbies that are your own.

SWMBO used to hate the smell of the mash but now she can't resist the grainy goodness. She likes doing her own thing when I am brewing because I am kind of a controlling menace when it comes to cooking and brewing but she will pop in to help with stirring the mash or bottling and seems pretty happy to do it.

But I do like having the time to myself and immersing myself in my beer... wait... I don't bathe in it... I just love it completely.

My wife likes the taste of my beer, and helps every so often, but usually, she helps by just not being in the way on brew day.

I used to want to have Bob interested in brewing, but now I'm glad it's a solo hobby. I really like having my hobby be just mine.

He does help a lot with things, though, now that he's encouraged me making 10+ gallon sized batches. He helps dump the grain outside in the compost, and helps crush the grain. I appreciate that- he's a lot stronger than I am! :D

What I really enjoy the most is that he helps tweak recipes, and gives great feedback on the finished beer. He's got a great palate and can taste something and say, "Oh, I like this but I wish it had a maltier finish like XXX beer does", and then I can add some Munich malt the next time. He's really great that way- and because he loves beer as much as I do he's really supportive on purchases and growing hops.

My wife helped me stir the boil once and she has helped with bottling before and seemed to enjoy it.

Lately though if I'm brewing and she's home I get the "why are you always doing that when we could be spending time together?"

So now I brew at night on the nights she is working and make sure I have everything cleaned up and put away before she comes home and the peace is kept!

My wife likes my brewing for the end result, not so much for the process... She'll help once in a while if I need it (stirring the mash while I doug-in, for instance, if I don't have a helper that day), and she'll hang out on a brew day if I've got other people hanging out who she knows, but that's about the extent of it.

Like others, I'm OK with that. She's got interests that I'm not all that into either, and that's a pretty healthy thing.

Last brew day was the first time my wife helped out. She cleaned the tubing and and such. She said it was for her sanity. She doesn't like the mess I make in the kitchen cleaning carboys, kettle, and such.

My wife helps once in while. She has brewed her own beer (she is the only one in the family with a medal for beer). She loves the end result. She has a better taster than I do so she tells me what is wrong or right with a beer. She gets me brew stuff for Christmas. She like the people in our brew club and the big camping/beer festival we go to.

As for cutting the lawn. She cuts, trims, edges, and blows(the grass clipping) of my lawn and 3 neighbors lawns.

my wife says to me all the time, can we talk about something other then brewing. and i say there is something else we can talk about?

Mine helps me when I need it. She holds the cooler when I am pouring strike water to make sure I don't move it and dump it all over the floor, but I have a sneaking suspicion that is to make sure I don't make a mess. Both she and my daughter help with bottling though.

My wife doesn't drink much beer, or anything else for that matter, but she loves the smell of both the mash and the boil. I brew alone, but on occasion she will help me dough-in. I keg most of the time, but she helps when I bottle. Even though my wife is incredibly supportive of my hobby, when I talk about beer all she hears is "blah blah blah beer blah . . . " I imagine I must sound like one of the adults on the old Peanuts cartoons to her.

My girlfriend loves to ask questions about brewing, and has helped me bottle a couple of times. In my experience a lot of people actually have fun running the bottling wand or capper. Unfortunately she's not a beer drinker but will try mine and has slightly enjoyed a couple. She loves my version of Apfelwein though, so another thanks to Ed :)

Some day I think she will help me. Either it will be great because she's more details oriented or I will get annoyed. Anyhow, congratulations to you man! Have fun with it!

The hubby got me into brewing and our 10 gal batches are our joint Saturday afternoon activity. I usually do small stovetop batches on my own but I like having a brew partner for the rest (besides the dog that is, she thinks she's helping but she's not). The boy's not much into recipe formulation which is one of my favorite things. On the other hand he has a much better palate than I do and gives good recommendations for adjustments, so it works out well.

My wife likes my finished product. She doesn't help me during the brew process, but she usually helps me bottle. She also allows me to keep my fermenting buckets on our breakfast bar until they are done fermenting as my canning cellar gets quite cold during the winter.

No help really, and I don't really want any. She does her hobbies and I have mine. I have friends that know how to brew and want to come help but I usually don't let them know when I am brewing. Not a loner, its just brewing is my "me" time.

Yooper said:
I used to want to have Bob interested in brewing, but now I'm glad it's a solo hobby. I really like having my hobby be just mine.

He does help a lot with things, though, now that he's encouraged me making 10+ gallon sized batches. He helps dump the grain outside in the compost, and helps crush the grain. I appreciate that- he's a lot stronger than I am! :D.

ditto for my hubby, he's there for the heavy lifting and enjoys the results but I think what he really likes most is bragging rights with his work buddies, " oh ya well my wife brews beer "
too funny !

I asked for help from my wife while bottling. Something simple like handing my bottles or holding the racking cane. She refused and told me that she would only help if she got to do the fun part (filling bottles or capping).

My girlfriend is interested and loves having good beer around, but ultimately she views brewing as hard work. Sometimes she helps, but most of the time shed rather me schedule a brew day when she has something else to do. Shes a trooper though, I recently had a shoulder surgery and couldnt lift anything >20 lbs, so she did all my lifting for about a dozen brew sessions.

Wife...help...me... Sorry, I'm not familiar with this phrase. Are you sure you are spelling it correctly? Perhaps it a translation from a foreign language? If you are using google translate, sometimes they come up with some funny translations for things that make sense in your native tongue.

At first,I'd just have her help me when an extra hand or two would make things easier. She liked every beer I made,& it became part of our quiet time. Cigs,home brew,& videos was our time. She'd be excited when the new batch was finally ready. She said a few times that she preferred mine to commercial. Then,come tax time a year or two ago,she said she wanted to go into the beer supply with me. Floored me right quick. She was looking at some newly stocked BB kits & I told her to pick any one she wanted to brew. I also at that point decided we needed the BB ale pail,the plastic paddle,more hop socks...everything needed for two to brew at once. She got pretty good at the whole process of extract with steeping grains. Bottling day she learned filling ,capping,etc. Made it go pretty fast.
Flash forward to a few months ago. Gestational diabeties from our last child some 14 years ago came back & bit her hard. So much for smoking & drinking. Says it makes her sick as a type 1. Now I'm all alone. No brew partner,no buddie,no us time save for upstairs with a couple movies before zonk out.
But at least partial mash is working out steadilly,got a new style to play with thanks to a fellow member & Cooper's user. I'm glad for that. sharing recipes,thoughts & the like as we go. I just wish they had a cure for my wife. She could match beers & shots with any man,maybe better than many.:mug:

My wife is not much of a fan of beer and wishes that I wouldn't talk about, brew, or drink as much as I do (which isn't all that much if you ask me). In the end, she only has herself to blame since she is the one that bought me my starter kit. I've gotten real good at the whole process and have won medals for every beer I have entered into comp. The wife even drinks and enjoys a few of mine occaisonally, but she will never be interested in the process and like lots of others, I'm glad I have my "me" time.

unionrdr said:
At first,I'd just have her help me when an extra hand or two would make things easier. She liked every beer I made,& it became part of our quiet time. Cigs,home brew,& videos was our time. She'd be excited when the new batch was finally ready. She said a few times that she preferred mine to commercial. Then,come tax time a year or two ago,she said she wanted to go into the beer supply with me. Floored me right quick. She was looking at some newly stocked BB kits & I told her to pick any one she wanted to brew. I also at that point decided we needed the BB ale pail,the plastic paddle,more hop socks...everything needed for two to brew at once. She got pretty good at the whole process of extract with steeping grains. Bottling day she learned filling ,capping,etc. Made it go pretty fast.
Flash forward to a few months ago. Gestational diabeties from our last child some 14 years ago came back & bit her hard. So much for smoking & drinking. Says it makes her sick as a type 1. Now I'm all alone. No brew partner,no buddie,no us time save for upstairs with a couple movies before zonk out.
But at least partial mash is working out steadilly,got a new style to play with thanks to a fellow member & Cooper's user. I'm glad for that. sharing recipes,thoughts & the like as we go. I just wish they had a cure for my wife. She could match beers & shots with any man,maybe better than many.:mug:

Best wishes for your wife, my hubby was diagnosed with diabetes also, so now he'll have one beer and he's good. Reminds me of the old George Thoroughgood song, " I drink alone, yah with nobody else.... You know when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself " lol
Cheers!

My brew days are like my sex life....i do them both myself.

Actually, my wife helps out a lot on brew days. She takes the kids and leaves.

My wife will make fun of me when I talk about beer or brewing because I will get really into it. She'll walk up to the pot and make funny sarcastic remarks like "ohh so hoppy you're brewing" or look into the beer and talk kind of dirty to it by saying "I wanna dry hop the **** out of you". It amuses me so I don't mind. But it's also nice she don't complain.

My wife had loved to help with the bottling. On brew day she always comments how good the kitchen smells after the hop additions. Also comments on how the different hops have noticeably different aromas. Her nose sense is much better than mine. After hurting my shoulder a month ago; she now pours, stirs, carries, and caps. It is great having such a loving partner.

Back