Clogged.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-AB

Reaction score
In both the mash tun and boil pot when draining off the wort the screens seem t clog and it would barely flow. We ended up just scraping away the grains from the screen, is this not a good idea? And is there anything other then a false bottom that can be use to help with this?

Happy Brewing!

I've had grain get under the screen and clog the opening.
I've also had stuck sparge with a pumpkin beer.
Both cases I blew air into the drain to clear the opening, which ended up working well.

Copper or CPVC manifold. Never clogs.

I have false bottoms in my two vessels and have never had problems unless there is corn or rice involved, now I just add some rice hulls first. As for the copper and pvc I have a few buddies that use it and I have never seen it clog.

i added a stainless scrubbie to my false bottom setup to catch grains that make it past the screen edge and haven't had a problem since. I also condition my grain and use rice hulls.

*false bottom is a keg top with angle grinder cuts.

I am using a bazooka screen in my pot and a a braided hose in my mash tun.

It was also my first time with using pellet hops, I don't think I will again, it just seemed to make more of a mess. And yeah I think once I can find a rectangular cooler I am going to fit it with copper piping, I have a stand up water cooler and there is close to no space in bottom to put anything but a flexible dishwater hose.

I was thinking about making up a false bottom to fit it.

Thanks for all the help!

I am using a bazooka screen in my pot and a a braided hose in my mash tun.

It was also my first time with using pellet hops, I don't think I will again, it just seemed to make more of a mess. And yeah I think once I can find a rectangular cooler I am going to fit it with copper piping, I have a stand up water cooler and there is close to no space in bottom to put anything but a flexible dishwater hose.

I was thinking about making up a false bottom to fit it.

Thanks for all the help!

From what I've read, pellet hops clog bazooka tubes pretty consistently. Consider a hop spider or hop bag?

To this day ive never had a stuck sparge in my mash tun with a braided hose...maybe im just lucky?

Any time i use ingredients that are known mash baddies like pumpkin or wheat beers i just throw in 8oz of Rice hulls..its like 30 cents and gives peace of mind.

Its probably a good ideal for OP to keep a few lbs of rice hulls around.

I hope it is ok to jump off of this tread....I hope to seek the wisdom of those many gallons under their belts..
We had our first real clogged sparge due to grains getting under the screen. It was a 5 gallon batch of a Rye Ale...no excess wheat ect. But this is the second time this has happened with this recepie and this time it was a total clog.

How do you guys keep your screens totally flush with the base of your mash tuns? (we mash in Keggles) Is stirring the mash at the beginning a really bad idea (we think we are knocking loose the metal screen)?

Any help = huge thank you
NDB

Back