Honey instead of sugar???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midd

Reaction score
As anyone ever tried honey instead of granulated sugar for carbonation!?
I thought it might give a different taste?
Thanks

I put honey in everything. It is a sugar so it will do the job, not usually enough in a priming solution to taste it though.
It mostly ferments out, leaving very little actual honey flavor. Honey is its own animal so the same amount of a different honey, or even the next batch of honey from the same hive, can ferment out different amounts of sugars and taste different.
It works fine for bottling, give it a try. Use a bit more than you would for granulated sugar, due to the weight of water in honey.

I did this a couple years ago. Didn't give a definite honey flavor, but it gave the IPA I brewed a little more complexity... I bottled 5 gallons of the same brew with plain sugar... Just add an extra 10% honey by weight. I use 5 ounces sugar to prime, but I use 5.5 ounces honey...

Look at the 'Similar Threads' listing at the bottom of the page. Also, this has been discussed (almost to death) already even recently. Try using the search feature before posting up a question next time..

Golddiggie said:
Look at the 'Similar Threads' listing at the bottom of the page. Also, this has been discussed (almost to death) already even recently. Try using the search feature before posting up a question next time..

Thanks for your advise golddiggie, but I like to start a thread for my own questions so I can reply to any advise directly so that I can ask additional questions that may be relevant for my advantage. . That way they know who I am and what I'm talking about etc etc ;-)

By the way, thanks guys. Appreciate your time and it's great advise as always.

Thanks for your advise golddiggie, but I like to start a thread for my own questions so I can reply to any advise directly so that I can ask additional questions that may be relevant for my advantage. . That way they know who I am and what I'm talking about etc etc ;-)

You CAN add posts to other threads and you'll be notified when someone answers... BUT, this has already been covered in many threads. Adding another for your reasons is [IMO] invalid.

Agreed...there are some many threads on here on honey, maybe we need a sticky on one of them or something. I only use honey and love the results.

Golddiggie said:
You CAN add posts to other threads and you'll be notified when someone answers... BUT, this has already been covered in many threads. Adding another for your reasons is [IMO] invalid.

Really Dosent matter golddiggie. If it bores you then don't bother replying mate. There are plenty
That really don't mind giving advise time and time over.. And I enjoy the converse as do they. :)

Calichusetts said:
Agreed...there are some many threads on here on honey, maybe we need a sticky on one of them or something. I only use honey and love the results.

Do you add more than the recommended granulated sugar mate? Thanks for your reply!

Honey is basically just priming sugar that costs 5X more than priming sugar and is harder to dissolve than priming sugar. Use priming sugar.

If you want honey taste in a beer, use honey malt or use real honey at flameout.

TopherM said:
Honey is basically just priming sugar that costs 5X more than priming sugar and is harder to dissolve than priming sugar. Use priming sugar.

If you want honey taste in a beer, use honey malt or use real honey at flameout.

Thanks topherM

Do you add more than the recommended granulated sugar mate? Thanks for your reply!

I use 4 tablespoons PER GALLON. Thats 1.5 ounces or 63 grams if your using another measurement. Recently I've gone to 2 tablespoons to get the carbonation on the lower side. Mix the honey in water, warm it up and swirl it around until its mixed. Add it to the bottling bucket and bottle as normal.

Honey malt just wasn't for me, I only wanted a touch of honey in my beer. Using it to prime gives you a subtle upfront aroma when you crack a bottle and take a taste. Also, certain types of honey work better than others. Clover is very weak but orange blossom and buckwheat work well. Hope that helps.

Experiment, try bottling with a nicer honey, if its not enough, use honey malt or add honey during or after fermentation.

Calichusetts said:
I use 4 tablespoons PER GALLON. Thats 1.5 ounces or 63 grams if your using another measurement. Recently I've gone to 2 tablespoons to get the carbonation on the lower side. Mix the honey in water, warm it up and swirl it around until its mixed. Add it to the bottling bucket and bottle as normal.

Honey malt just wasn't for me, I only wanted a touch of honey in my beer. Using it to prime gives you a subtle upfront aroma when you crack a bottle and take a taste. Also, certain types of honey work better than others. Clover is very weak but orange blossom and buckwheat work well. Hope that helps.

Experiment, try bottling with a nicer honey, if its not enough, use honey malt or add honey during or after fermentation.

The best advise yet.. Thanks very much! I'll let you know how it goes. :eek:)

This is really interesting since i was really interested in seeing what people used in replacement of priming sugar. Im thinking of maybe substituting my priming sugar for organic sunflower honey.

Can i just completely replace the priming sugar with honey or maybe do a mix?

This is really interesting since i was really interested in seeing what people used in replacement of priming sugar. Im thinking of maybe substituting my priming sugar for organic sunflower honey.

Can i just completely replace the priming sugar with honey or maybe do a mix?

I'd completely replace it. It's simple enough and pretty foolproof. I've never had any major issues with honey.

Back