Best Printer type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rau71

Reaction score
I never print anything, but I want to start printing labels so I need to buy a printer. Which prints better quality, Laserjet or inkjet?

Laser is typically more water proof when it comes to printing. IF you cna get an inkjet that uses water fast inks, that won't run when hit with water/moisture, then you could use that.

Typically laster printers are faster to output pages. Cost per page printed is also typically lower on laser printers (even color laser printers).

I have both printer types here at home and use the laser printer (color) for my labels. While my main color printer is excellent for photographs, I can't see chewing up those consumable resources for beer bottle labels. I don't even us the HP multi-function printer for labels.

BTW, you can get a really good color laser printer for pretty cheap money these days. I picked up mine several years ago on a sweet deal. I also have yet to go through my first set of toner cartridges (having sent just over 1600 pages/sides through it).

You'll need to completely seal off the labels to prevent water from getting to the paper too. With laser printers the toner is fused (with heat) to the paper. Not so with inkjet printers.

I have been using an old shipping type Zebra thermal label printer. It is nice because there is no ink to run since it is burnt on and self adhesive. They don't get messed up from getting wet or bottles sweating either. You can only do black and white but that is fine for me. They do need to soak for a while to get the adhesive off though when done.

A cheaper route, if money is an issue, is to get your stuff printed at a local print shop (Kinko's, etc). Colour laser printing, on standard paper, run about 18-25 cents/page round here - probably cheaper in the US. Given the cost of even a cheap colour laser, that's a few thousand labels for the same price (assuming 4/page, etc)...

Bryan

Just to add another opinion...
Inkjets actually print higher quality. All photography is printed on inkjets, not on lasers. There are 2 reasons: laser printers cannot print on glossy paper (might be a concern if you like slick labels) and lasers have less resolution and less gamut than inkjets.

So the short answer to your question is, inkjets print higher quality, and they are cheaper than lasers. I print on an inkjet on semi-gloss paper for my labels, and the inks never run, even when I put the bottles in an ice bucket. YMMV though, it probably depends on the type of ink in the printer.

Back