Autumn Seasonal Beer Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose it is about the time of the year for me to get going on this again...

lloks great
have questions about the pumpkin and mollases
when and where did you add it
boil ferment second ?

Just brewed this today! I followed the recipe exactly except that I used 2 lbs of brown sugar, and I poured my wort through a sieve into the fermenter. I want this to be super strong, so I'm thinking of adding a pound or 2 of some D-180 in 48 hours. Thoughts??

OG was 1.096!
IMG_20150719_190829_194_zpsxa5vxoh8.jpg

I just added 2lbs of D-180, the OG should be around 1.101 now. It'll be kind of like a "RUMpkin quad". I noticed a ton of pumpkin matter in the bucket even though I strained the wort, I can't imagine NOT straining this! I'm absolutely going to cold crash for a few days before racking to secondary, and probably rack through a strainer too.

I might put this into swingtops and save half for Thanksgiving next year.

I just added 2lbs of D-180, the OG should be around 1.101 now. It'll be kind of like a "RUMpkin quad". I noticed a ton of pumpkin matter in the bucket even though I strained the wort, I can't imagine NOT straining this! I'm absolutely going to cold crash for a few days before racking to secondary, and probably rack through a strainer too.

I might put this into swingtops and save half for Thanksgiving next year.

So my darling wife opened the window that night and didn't tell me. I went in there today and it was 78F! I took a sample(no more pumpkin matter floating) and it's down to 1.012, with a big banana nose. I tasted the sample and it's got a hop bitterness, pumpkin spice, and a big Belgian banana ester flavor. But none of the sweetness I was hoping it would have:( No alcohol harshness, so I'm not too worried right now. The window is closed, the "sorry hun" is over, and the room is going back down to 67F. I'll give it another 2 days and put it into the fridge to crash, the rack to the bottling bucket with the spice/rum tea. I'll be pouring the tea through a mesh bag since the cinnamon is sliming up in the jar.

Got it bottled up today. I always sip on a little glass while bottling, just to get a taste. It was very rich, pumpkin, pumpkin spice, strong alcohol,rum, Belgian phenolics and esters, and sugars. I'm pretty happy with the taste:) I used a half cup of D-180 for the priming sugar, and added the 16oz's of rum and spice tea poured through mesh. I'll be letting this sit until it's almost X-mas.

But, I lost about a gallon and a half due to pumkin matter. Next time I'll put the pumpkin into a mesh bag.

Had a bottle last night to see how it's coming along. Smell was pumpkin spices, Belgian esters, malt, and alcohol. Taste was the spices, pumpkin, malt, Belgian esters and phenolics, a slight hint of alcohol. Too much spice, next time I'll use way less. Not much rum right now, and the alcohol is pretty tame. Carbonation is really low.

I accidentally brought a bottle to the homebrew demo yesterday, so I opened it up and shared it around. The nose is Belgian esters, pumpkin spice, rum, and sugars. The flavors are sugars, rum, pumpkin spice, malts, and fruity esters. Superb! A local head brewer here was going nuts about how much he liked it:)

This beer is amazing!

Opened a bottle last night. (brewed in late July last year) I originally screwed up and added a little too much allspice. That has mellowed out quite a bit and more of the Belgian esters are coming through. I think I may have left my pumpkin in the oven a little too long as well as I originally was getting a slight 'burned' taste. Still get a little of that taste. Plenty to learn from I guess. Even with the issues, this is a great recipe. Can't wait for round two.

I know this is an older recipe but wanted to share my experience with it so far. I am pretty new to homebrewing and this was my third brew. Only had a 7.5 gal brew kettle and decided I would try my first ever full boil and realized soon enough how bad of an idea this was. I had about 3 really small boil overs I would say lost about 1 bottle total. Not too bad I would say. Didn't have a brew sheet and thought I put in 1 oz of hops 60 min and then went to look at recipe and realized I ****ed up. Other than that boil went great.

I couldn't find trappist yeast at my lhbs due to that it is a small little corner in a big alcohol store. I don't think any of the workers have any knowledge on homebrewing tbh. So I went with US-05. I had jsut recently bought a nice mini fridge for a fermentation chamber but didn't have temp control yet. However I figured if I let it sit at the minimal temp on the fridge I would be safe until my temp control came in. I threw a sticker thermometer on my bucket and would monitor the temp this way. It got to about 55-58 d F. Wasn't too happy. Took 3 days for any activity. Finally started to ferment and I had received my temp control. Set it at about 60 for a couple days and would then raise it to 63-64 for a couple days and then to about 66-67 to finish primary ad into secondary. Didn't want to shock my yeast and just jump to a high temp. However when I had my temp at 60 my temp in the fridge got turned off so for 2 days it sat at 71-73 degrees. Had a lot of activity. To the point where I needed to refill my star san in the airlock. Got really nervous about off flavors now but would continue to let it ride out.

About day 10 fermentation was starting to slow down so I decided to do a gravity reading. I should remind you that this is my first time getting a gravity reading in homebrweing and first time really using a turkey baster. So i put my sterile turkey baster in the wort to collect my sample and I create massive bubbles because silly me pushed the rubber part in while in the wort. So now I am worried about oxidation. Get my reading and and at this point it is about 1.028. O.G was about 1.08 at about 67 degrees. Closed lid and went to taste my reading. Tasted like... Poop tbh.. Was a little worried. Continued to have the mind set that I would just let eer ride and hope for the best. After I put in the bubbles I had a pretty vigorous activity in my airlock again. Guessing I woke up the beast. Didn't have spiced rum at the time of brew day so I bought at day 12. Made my spiced tee and would let it sit for 3 days. Decided to go an extra day for primary. During these 3 days I had bought an Avery rumpkin to see what I may be expecting. Cracked it open with a friend and oooh boy I will tell you I was not a big fan.

Day 15 Is when I would transfer to secondary. Took a gravity reading and was sitting at 1.02. Pretty impressed. Put in a tiny amount of my spiced tea in my reading and took a sip and the rum just overpowered my beer. So I decided to pitch my tea and put in Pumpkin spice and nutmeg into my secondary and then transferred. I did taste my reading before adding the spiced tea and didn't taste too bad, better than before but still pretty ripe. I had a feeling with time it would turn out good. Today is day 10 in secondary and will bottle day 12.
Out of boredom I decided to take a gravity reading so I could taste er out. Ending up being 1.016ish. The taste was actually really good. Really happy with how it turned out. Had a nice hint of pumpkin and was not bitter at all. The spices weren't overwhelming but I think I could have added less to secondary. I poured into a nice cold glass and as the beer got colder the taste became better. Can't wait for this baby to carb up and pour a cold one. Will be saving this recipe!!

Bottled at 11.94%! Sticky sweet and flavorful, can't wait until Thanksgiving:)
I used a half bottle of Pyrat to melt the sugar for the ferment, and added a whole bottle of Pusser's to the bottling bucket!

This has to be my favorite recipe from this site :rock:

Last edited:
Just brewed this baby today. Fourth time doing the recipe. I use S-33 yeast because of the clean taste and high alcohol tolerance.

Used Crown Strong Maple syrup, Captain Morgan Black, and Penzy's Pumpkin Spice. I used a generous amount of spice in the pumpkin bake and in the rum "tea".

As a new twist, I also added Penzy's Vietnamese Vanilla spice to the rum "tea" Smells delicious.

After brew day, I kicked back with a boston round of Avery's Rumpkin. Amazing!!!

Just opened a bottle of this brew that I made back in August of 2015. Had my first bottle of Rumpkin last night (Avery doesn’t distribute out my way). Aside from the Rumpkin being a little sweeter, this was pretty damned close! Age is this beers friend for sure.
IMG_0023.JPG

Just opened a bottle of this brew that I made back in August of 2015. Had my first bottle of Rumpkin last night (Avery doesn’t distribute out my way). Aside from the Rumpkin being a little sweeter, this was pretty damned close! Age is this beers friend for sure.

Really cool to see this recipe still being used. My brother in-law is new to home brewing, and asked about pumpkin beers, which is what made me return to this place. My work and a couple of brewery business plans and other excuses had me leaving homebrewing for the last three or four years, but now I think I am coming back.

Only took me 5-years but brewed this again today. Went all grain with the op’s modifications to bump up og. I screwed up my volumes and finished at 5.5 gals vs my target of 5 gallons so my og was off a bit at 1.070. Thought I was finishing too low so I added some water toward the end of the boil. I guess there always has to be at least one mistake every brew day. Think I might add some leftover clear Belgian candy syrup I have from another brew once fermentation gets rolling. Plan on fermenting at 68 for a few days and then bumping up to the higher limits for 3787 over a few days. Soaking some oak chips in rum and spice mixture and might add a couple of vanilla beans to the mix. Still holding onto one last bottle from the 2015 batch.

Getting ready to brew this next weekend. 2 months before Halloween. I'll keg it. I wonder how it will taste by Halloween? Maybe I'll bottle a few bombers so I can check on aging so I can plan better for next year.

I have never toasted grains before. Do I need to toast the Maris Otter whole or are milled grains ok? I don't have a mill so I let my LHBS take care of it.

I'm considering using Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity Yeast. Anyone ever use this yeast?

Many pumpkins beer I feel could use more pie spice. Has anyone gone too far? How much spice do you suggest?

1 lb Mars Otter, pre-toasted on a cookie sheet for 20 min @ 350 degrees (this takes the place of the 1 lb Traditional Dark DME in the original recipe in an attempt to get more of a pie crust flavor) (Mash 154 60 min)
2 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (double the original to get more of a malt backbone) (mash @154 degrees 60 min)
1 lb Biscuit Malt (mash @154 degrees 60 min)
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (mash @154 degrees 60 min)

6 lbs light DME (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Brown Sugar (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Dark Candi Sugar (Boil 60 min)
¼ cup Molasses (baked with pumpkin)
60.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned, baked (see notes, Boil 60 min)

2 oz Goldings (5.0% AA 60.0 min) 20 IBU

Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity Yeast 1.5L starter, decant and two step propagate for 3L starter.

Last edited:
I brewed this last Saturday and everything went great! 1.100 OG. Huge pumpkin flavor even without the spice in the hydrometer sample. But i wonder how much of that will last?

I have the spice mix in 6oz of rum. I want some rum flavor but not over the top. Although the spices aren't dissolving into the rum but I guess maybe they are not supposed to?

IMG_7204.JPG

IMG_7205.JPG
IMG_7207.JPG
IMG_7208.JPG
WVUP9529.JPG

Latest posts

Back