UGH! Where are all the homebrewers?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dp69_2001

Reaction score
Anyways, I started a Facebook Home brewing group with the hopes of finding some of the brewers in or around Richfield Utah. So far it's been pretty lame. I know of a handful, and I know there are more out there.

Maybe there are some on the forum. I'd really like to find a group of individuals to start brewing with, and sharing brews, recipes, ideas, n other ****. So if you happen to be a brewer in and/or around Richfield Utah, or not, add http://www.facebook.com/pages/Richfield-Utah-Homebrew-Club/147466605284429?ref=sgm

They are probably hiding from the Morman Police.

Seriously with it being Utah, using Facebook to try to bring homebrewers together may not be the best idea. Don't forget Homebrewing was just legalized in your state last year. And even legalized you still have to deal with the fact the Utah is a pretty "straight laced" state. I'm sure there are a lot of homebrewers who have bosses who are Morman, or live in communities where it would be frowned upon so they're a little more circumspect in advertising the fact that they make and drink beer.

And since everyone and their mother is on facebook these days they may not be so quick to jump on your facebook bandwagon.

You're better off creating a subforum on HERE where there already are Utah brewers, and where this is a less public space.

In fact I looked and there's already an HBT Utah Club. Oh I just realized that you started the club on here. (I was going to point you out to that site but I see it is you.)

Do you have a nearby homebrew shop? Post something there. In 2 weeks it is "Learn To Homebrew Day" do you know if there's any events going on around you, like at a homebrew shop? If not I would start one, and simply post the time and place on your facebook page, but NOT make it so people have to rsvp, or like or anything public, just put it up and see who bites on the 6th.

You may find out you have a lot of lurkers on there who just don't feel comfortable signing on something so public like facebook. And may turn up on the 6th.

All that sounds like solid Advice Rev!! I'm glad I have a local HBS, and the North Florida Brewers League. Plenty of brewers in my area to hang out with, I cant wait till the next meeting :D

The LHBS here is in Salt Lake. Yeah, I've posted many events and such, asked around a lot. There are a few people that I know who already brew here, and a few more that are interested in starting. But, I'm interested in finding more so that the ones that I do know and the others can.... well, ya know.

Well have you found a "Learn to brew/teach a friend to brew" even anywhere for this coming saturday, this would be the weekend to connect with some new ones.

Looking for the same in Salt Lake City. There is ZZHops, but they can be a bit crazy and don't really like amateurs from what I hear.

tv187u said:
Looking for the same in Salt Lake City. There is ZZHops, but they can be a bit crazy and don't really like amateurs from what I hear.

tv187u said:

Where did you "hear" that? ZZHops is great and new people go to the meetings all the time.

You should think about going to a meeting and forming an opinion for yourself before bashing it on a homebrew forum.

Jeff

My best friend and I just started brewing in January. I'm in South Jordan and he's in North Salt Lake.

brewmasterorr said:
Where did you "hear" that? ZZHops is great and new people go to the meetings all the time.

You should think about going to a meeting and forming an opinion for yourself before bashing it on a homebrew forum.

Jeff

"heard" it hanging around at the beer nut and again at squatters when I mentioned the club. I would love to check out a gathering if I could figure out where and when. Feel free to email me for the next gathering.

"heard" it hanging around at the beer nut and again at squatters when I mentioned the club. I would love to check out a gathering if I could figure out where and when. Feel free to email me for the next gathering.

Some of the employees at the Beer Nut told me the same thing a while back. I went to a meeting to check things out anyway. It was a really friendly and laid-back group and they were very welcoming to me as a beginner. I would suggest you at least give them a try.

I later saw that the Beer Nut folks were trying to start a different club and asked why...after digging a little, I learned the Beer Nut folks are sore about ZZHops organizing bulk hop & grain purchases from wholesalers, which they feel is undermining their business.

I am so excited... today I get to pickup my Brutus from my buddys shop
Its like Christmas... or tasting my last batch or beer....:D

I have heard a few things about zzhops from others, but since I have never been to a meeting I have no opinion. What I can say is that it seems like it's a secret society or something.

No website, no facebook, at least not that I can find. I spoke with a member once, he took my info and said he would have the club pres contact me, but that never happened.

How can someone who is getting interested in homebrewing ever go if there is no info about joining, meeting times and places, etc ?

Oh well...

My roommates and I have been brewing for a couple years on and off... more on now in Salt Lake City. Just switching to AG

Brewing in secret in Orem behind the Zion curtain here. I brew with 3 or 4 other guys either here or in SLC.

ZZHOPS holds meetings at each others houses. If they posted an address on facebook, there could be a possibility of 50 people showing up. It would be different if meetings were held in a large building.

and for that to happen, finding a meeting center that allows alcohol around here is tough if its not a reciption hall or something. also would have dedicated member dues required for the rent wich has a security deposit also.. im happy to get invited to the mead makers even if they all dont talk the beer talk...

Sorry, not trying to stir the pot. I can see that as a legitimate concern, it's just I had no idea on the procedure or facilities.

Someone from the club forwarded me the details today. I can't make tonights meeting but I plan on attending one soon. More than happy to host one of these upcoming meetings as well.

Cheers!

i have met a couple zzhops guys but havn't been invited to a meeting... i know and trade beer with most all the utah beer blog guys and thats how i was invited to the mead makers guild but there open to everyone that wants to go.. :mug:

Check out the O-Town Hop Heads in Ogden. They are on book and meet monthly at Union Station Fermentation in Ogden.

Not much going on down here in Happy Valley. I brew with two other guys, and that's about the limit of what we have found. The area(s) we live in are not receptive to the hobby at all which makes it difficult to find brew buddies, and our place of work is very LDS.

Always looking to hook with some new faces, get some new ideas. Is Hoppy Valley's club still active? The website doesn't seem to have much activity.

brewmasterorr said:
We started a Facebook page. And we will post when meetings are coming up. You can email or send a message to get the meeting info. After you attend the meeting we have a email list as well as we are trying to get the group setup on Facebook as well.

https://www.facebook.com/ZZHops

:mug:

Jeff

When I search FB for you all there is another zxhops that shows up.

Back