"Appetizer" vs. "full-meal" beers..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I just experienced something with a hoppy beer (Harpoon's Belgian Pale Ale:): it tastes way better *before* a meal than with food (I drink with food, and rarely without -low tolerance to alcohol)

I read a review on the beer, which pointed out that it was a good 'appetizer' beer... and indeed it does taste better on its own, without competing with spices, in my (short) experience

I never experienced that with other hoppy beers like 'medium strength' IPAs though.

What is at work here?

Well, the flavor profile of the beer might just not work well with the food you're eating at the time. Just think of it in only food terms and mix anchovies and ice cream. They're just not made to go together. I think most beers can be paired with food, and there's always a beer for any meal. It is just a matter of what your palate prefers.

Some beers do work best on their own, and this might be one of them. I think most IPAs can be paired with something, though. It all just depends on what you're eating.

Oh, and I read that wrong. A Belgian pale is very much different from an IPA. The yeast profile won't play well with all kinds of foods. I'd suggest some good cheese, probably something blue and smelly to really work with the yeast character.

Agree - the Belgiums that I've tried often have a full mouthy feel. Along with cheeses and crackers I also like citrisy or tart fruit like slices of green apple. When pairing with meals I prefer lighter cleaner tasting/feeling beers.

fwiw: Both Shiner and Full Sail have black lagers that I've been really enjoying with meals like burgers or bbq.

Back