Saniclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springer

Reaction score
I just got my order and I ordered Saniclean instead of StarSan by mistake .I have read its the same just with no foam but because of the rules its not listed as a sanitizer . I am just a little apprehensive using it in place of Starsan .

What I would like to hear is other peoples experience using this product.....

Hate to sound like a worried nOObie ....

I just bought it for the first time a couple brews ago because of the low foaming aspect. I plan to use it in conjunction with Starsan. I will use the SaniClean after cleaning everything as a final acid rinse by pumping it through my entire system.
I also have a keg/carboy washer that I built with a utility pump... I have used the saniclean as a final rinse there as well.

I don't plan to use it in a spray bottle like starsan, but don't know if it would be a problem or not.

Works exactly like Star San, but low foam. It is not listed as a sanitizer because you have to pay the Feds (and states) $$$ to do that. But, as of now, the Government cannot decide if things actually sanitize only decide if they can print that.

So according to the government, Sani Clean is a final acid rinse that happens to give a 2-log reduction in bacteria.

While it is not called a sanitizer, it is the product that 5star sells to breweries for the final rinse after washing with PBW. It is there to kill the nasties. It does require a longer contact time btw.

Thanks for the replies .The contact time is not a problem even with Starsan I would keep everything wet 3-5 minutes by shaking every couple of minutes or spray bottle . We shall see how well it works

Does anybody use saniclean with a copper counterflow chiller? The tech sheet recommends not to use with soft metals. I am refining my cip process and wondering if this would be an option.

Does anybody use saniclean with a copper counterflow chiller? The tech sheet recommends not to use with soft metals. I am refining my cip process and wondering if this would be an option.

A Saniclean solution is acidic and, as such, will strip some copper from the surface of a copper item. Take a corroded penny and drop it into a solution of Saniclean or Star San for a few minutes and see what happens. However, folks who sell copper systems are known to reco aggressive caustics or acids to 'open' the surface to beverage in the fermentation, etc. In the case of a heat exchanger you're not worried about surface/fluid interface but damage to equipment. So, Saniclean will strip some copper and corrosion, which will prevent mineral buildup hampering heat transfer and it will not dissolve your equipment into vapors (poof!).:rockin:

Thanks Jimbo, vaporizing my chiller would be negative. I didn't think it would be a problem since I generally brew about twice a month. So we aren't talking about a lot of contact time.

Latest posts

Back