Brewing an IPA next weekend, here is the plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legume

Reaction score
CaCl 1.00 tsp
CaS04 1.00 tsp
Termamyl (thermally stable a amylase) 2.00 tbs
Millet 9.00 lb
Tapioca Starch 2.00 lb
Buckwheat 1.00 lb
Crystal Rice 1.00 lb
Biscut Rice 1.00 lb
James Brown Rice 8.00 oz

The grain bill above will be mashed overnight at 180 F with Termamyl.
in the morning I will drop the temperature to 140 F and add the enzymes below for a 2 hour rest...then sparge and boil as usual.

SEBamyl L 15.00 ml
ViscoSEB L (cell wall carbohydrase blend) 8.00 ml
SEBpro PL (protease) 8.00 ml

60 MIN boil:

Horizon Hops 0.60 oz 60
Fermax Yeast Nutrient 3.00 tsp 15
whirlfloc tab 0.50 tab 15
Beet Sugar 1 lb (Edit: I only ended up adding 8oz of sugar) 10
Chinook Hops 1.00 oz 10
Amarillo Hops 1.00 oz 5
Chinook Hops 2.00 oz 0 (whirlpool @ 170)
Amarillo Hops 1.00 oz 0 (whirlpool @ 170)
Mosaic Hops 1.00 oz 0 (whirlpool @ 170)

Yeast: GY054 Vermont IPA "Conan" 2 L Starter

Amarillo (Dry Hop) 1 oz
Mosaic Hops (Dry Hop) 2 oz
Citra (Dry Hop) 1 oz

Below are the numbers I hope to get close to.

Predicted
OG 1.063 (1.071 w sugar)
FG 1.013 (1.015 w sugar)
ABV 6.5 (7.3 w sugar)
IBU ~70

I will start a series of starters this week to work up a gluten free culture of "Conan" yeast.

Looks good!
Personally, I'd move the whirlfloc to 5 minutes since Irish Moss tends to break down in boils longer than 10 minutes, significantly reducing its effectiveness.

Also, on the dry hop: The last few GF's I brewed, I swirled the fermentor a couple times a day. This drastically improved the effectiveness of the dry hop IMHO.

Keep updated on the results :mug:
Cheers

Nuhvadah,

Thanks for the reply.
I had not heard that about the whirlfloc timing issue...I will look into moving it to later in the boil.

As for swirling the carboy during dry hopping...I agree, I give it a gentle swirl 1 or 2 times a day as well. Also, I dry hop with pellets witch allows for lots of surface area and extraction of goodness. I used to think that dryhopping with pellets was a mess, but I have started chilling my carboy for 24 hours prior to botteling and it makes all the diference...all the hop bits drop to the bottom.

Holy crap, 10.6 oz of hops?? That's about $28 worth of hops from my LHBS!

You mentioned you cold crash before bottling. Do you use a hop bag as well?

I order hops by the pound online, so its not quite $28 worth...probably about $12...but still it is not an insignifigant expense.
If they wernt so darn delicious I wouldnt use so much of them ;)

I do not use a hop bag...I just dump them into the fermentor (I dont use a secondarry) 1 week before bottling.
I cold crash 24 hours before bottling.

Well, changing the gelatinization rest at 180F from 2 hours to overnight has a dramatic effect on efficiency!

This morning at the end of the gelatinization rest (with Termamyl a amylase), the mash was at 21 BRIX (1.0875).

It is in the 2 hour 140F sacc rest now, but it is already clear that I will WAY overshoot my target post boil gravity.

I had this same experience (unusually high efficiency) with my previous brew where I atempted an overnight mash.

looks like I will be dropping the kettle addition of simple sugar from the recipe today.

I ended up with 6 gal of 1.066 wort into the fermentor.
It smelled and tasted great.

Chris,

I only ended up using 8oz of sugar (rather than the 1 lb I had planned on) due to the higher than expected efficiency.

Will try to post final numbers in 3 weeks or so.

Yesterday I pulled a sample and added the dry hop.
FG was 1.014, it tasted very good but had a subtile astengent note. I think I may be picking up some tannins in the overnight mash.
I may lower the temperature, time and pH of the mash a little to try to limit tannin extraction.

This is one of my best beers yet.
It turned out fantastic.
Beautiful IPA with a strong tropical fruit (guava and orange) aroma.
I added some polyclar prior to cold crashing and racking to the keg in an attempt to reduce the slight astringent note, it worked beautifully. I no longer detect any astringency.

This is a great recipe, but next time I brew it; I will drop the crystal rice, and add an extra pound of Biscuit rice instead. I might also up the IBU from ~70 to 75 or 80...but over all, I am very happy.

Back