GF Snowman English Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toorudez

Reaction score
I recently discovered that Canadian Homebrew Supplies carries GF AG kits from Snowman Brewing (http://homebrewsupplies.ca/category/gluten-free-ag/). So I purchased 2 of the 1 gallon kits and tried the English Amber Ale kit this morning. So far so good!

The mash schedule they recommend is almost the same as for barley based beer. (45 minutes @ 68C) I also decided to try it out using a BIAB method.
The grain crush I think is a bit on the coarse side as the efficiency is quite low, so for the second kit, I'll be crushing it again.

I probably didn't have the initial water volumes correct as the final boil volume was around 0.5 gallons. The pre-boil gravity came in at 1.036 (should have been 1.042). After chilling down to 22C and adding water to get back up to 1 gallon, the OG came in at 1.050. And it smells good! Just like a barely beer. Can't wait to try it!!

Oh ya. Start to finish was just under 3.5 hours!

Link to recipe: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/259739/english-amber-ale

Edit: I accidentally moved the fridge temperature sensor outside the chamber and came home after the freezer was running for 3.5 hours. The wort was a bit on the chilly side and had ice throughout it. I heated it back up to 20C and as of the writing this edit, it appears to be fermenting. Whew!

Day 2 and I brewed the American IPA. I ran it through my cereal mill prior to mashing. I mashed at about 68-69C for 60 minutes with 10L of water. Had a pre-boil gravity of 1.020. Boiled for 60 minutes with the hop additions and adding 190g of dextrose at 60 minutes. Ended up with 6L of wort and a post-boil gravity of 1.061. Looks like by changing a couple things I increased by efficiency from around 40% to 77%! Sounds like a success to me. :mug:

Back