Why are there floating things in my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjever19

Reaction score
I've made a few starters now each time using 100grams of Extra Light DME from AHS. I put a little water in my flask (have tried cold and warm) and fill it up to 1L. I mix it all up and it looks fine. Turn on the heat, about medium, gets to about 150 and then I get this coagulation that won't go away, even after it's cooled. I'm sure it's clean and sanitary after being heated for awhile, but it's pretty ugly!

Is this normal??

Click here to see a picture

Have you tried heating the water first and then mixing in the DME? It could be un-mixed DME. Those specks are too big to be yeast in suspension especially since the wort is starting to clear. Did you add the yeast already in that picture? I am guessing no especially since their is a vial of White Labs in the background.

Have you tried heating the water first and then mixing in the DME? It could be un-mixed DME. Those specks are too big to be yeast in suspension especially since the wort is starting to clear. Did you add the yeast already in that picture? I am guessing no especially since their is a vial of White Labs in the background.

Yes, I've tried both cold and warm water. It dissolves fine at first and then these chunks appear after heat is applied.

Back