Going AG needs some insight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
OK, I think I've earned my extract/steeping/partial mash wings and am ready for the next level.

I've read so much on AG over the last couple weeks, I think I've confused myself!

My main confusion lies in the mashing technique... single infusion, step, decoction....

If I am not mistaken, I can basically brew any beer with the single infusion process, correct? Or in a different way does it limit the beers I can brew.

And if going his route, I need a single cooler type mash tun.

Kind of looking for a "mashing parts list"!

Well, books have been written to answer this question, so I'll just give you my humble opinion!

A single infusion mash works great. I have done some decoctions for some beers, but that was for a certain purpose. I think for 99% of the beers you'd ever want to brew, you would be fine.

I use a cooler MLT, and have still done protein rests and decoctions and a mash out. It can be done without too much trouble.

Well, books only confuse the issue!!! I believe in practical applications of confusing theory!!!!!!!! The type of people who write brewing books and technical tomes are often the ones with too much knowledge ad who want you to be impressed with theoir knowledge and they lack the ability to deliver sane, pracical information for the layman. As a former journalist, rule number one is always write for a 6th grade audience! Sadly, I went back to grad school and now work in the engineering world and these people can't tell you how to make coffee without a 10-page manual!!!!

That being said, your answer suffices and was basically what I wanted and expected to hear.

cooler:
41JMMAA82RL._SS384_.jpg

cooler conversion kit:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/6042/
6580.jpg

false bottom WITH HOSE:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/allgrain.html
stainless-false-bottom.jpg

and you have yourself a mash tun! single infusion mash is absolutely fine for making any style of beer. i have done decoctions in my mash tun, however.

:mug:

I used this video to help me learn how to do batch sparging which is probably how you should start your all grains. All grain brewing is a lot easier than what it seems in books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back