Sanitizing Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhiteSlark

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle a Watney's Cream Stout extract that was in the primary for 13 days and secondary for 11 and was wondering about sanitizing bottles in a dishwasher.

I will make sure that there's no sediment left in them or remnants of labels before loading up the dishwasher. Should I add some B-Brite (no-rinse sanitizer, what the HB shop I use carries)? I imagine that liquid dish detergent is a bad idea.

This is the first time I've bottled in a place that I have a dishwasher and would really like to use it...

Thanks!

Cheers,
Kevin

The dishwasher is a nice idea, but I was never really all that trusting of them. Firstly, coming from a apartment maintenance man history, they can be quite crusty. They don't get rid of all the gunk they blast off the dishes. It tends to sit down in the screen or the pump. I would just soak them in oxyclean to get rid of the biologics and the labels and then give them a rinse in your sanitizer.

The dishwasher is nice for cleaning of big stuff, but getting into all the nooks of a bottle I wouldn't trust it.

My $.02

John

I use the dishwasher. I always rinse my bottles real good after every beer and right before bottling time I wash them with the heated cycle with NO soap. When I don't have access to the dishwasher because of too many dishes I soak them with Idophor in a big sqaure cooler.

mrk305 said:
I use the dishwasher. I always rinse my bottles real good after every beer and right before bottling time I wash them with the heated cycle with NO soap.

Ditto. I do high-temp wash and heated dry, no additives. They get clean and the heat should kill anything.

The key is to never let them get nasty, always rinse them out after pouring.

clean the hell out of your bottles first. then using the dishwasher use the the hi heat/temp setting with the hot air dry for sanitizing. u are not using the dishwasher to clean just sanitize:rockin:

happy brewing

I've washed them with regular dish detergent (in the dishwasher) in the past, but I always also soak them in Starsan afterward, as i am bottling. So far it's worked with me.

I've checked several bottles coming out of the dishwasher and they always come out clean.

Back