Beginner Question regarding check valve/barb size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meaghan83

Reaction score
Hi - I'm surprising my husband with some of the basic equipment to start kegging and am hoping someone can help/advise me about the regulator.

I have already purchased a 3 gallon ball lock keg and a 5 lb. CO2 tank.

I'm debating between a double gauge with check valve regulator and double CO2 regulator so he could have two kegs going in the future.

Either way...I have no idea which barb size to get and what hoses/fittings I should get?

Also, will any basic hand-held tap work fine?

Thank you so much in advance for any help/advice!!

Double gauge regulator with check valve: Single regulator with pressure gauges for the tank and outgoing pressure to the keg. Also has a check valve so that liquid does not enter into the regulator.

Double regulator: Two keg pressure regulators connected in series. Usually these will come with a third pressure gauge indicating the pressure of the co2 tank. You should make sure there are check valves on the two regulators to avoid liquid ever getting up into the internals of the gauges.

You can put a Y-splitter or multi-manifold on a single regulator so that it can distribute co2 to multiple kegs. The kegs will always be at the same pressure if you did it this way, which is usually fine. Alternatively, a double regulator will automatically start you off with the ability to carbonate two kegs and at different pressures if you like. Y-splitter and multi-manifolds can also be connected to double-regulators.

Gas lines are usually 5/16". Swivel nuts (which include the hose barb) with hose clamps are usually used on the ends of the hoses to connect to the the check valves and keg disconnects.

Basic hand-held tap? I assume you would be referring to picnic taps (or cobra taps), and, yes, they are frequently used. Your beer hose length may need to be longer than normal (10' or so) which helps to regulate flow pressures which, in turn, helps regulate how much foam comes out. I have never played with picnic taps so can't get much more specific than that.

Hope this helps.

I wish I had the double double so I could have different pressures off the same CO2 bottle. A check valve is necessary and I like the shutoff barbed valve
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/shutoff-valve-w-check-1-4-barb.html if the regulator does not already come with the fittings.

This one come complete with the fittings
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/double-gas-regulator.html

or this but you would need to get a 2 check valves
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0060NOX40/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

you also need the fittings for the ball lock keg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VLDD8W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Lucky man!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would call Keg Connection. They can get you everything you need over the phone at a great price.

He is a lucky man indeed... wish my wife would surprise me with kegging equipment.

Great - thank you so much for all the input!

I placed the initial order with Keg Connection - the prices were great and they shipped fast! :)

I think I'll go with the double double CO2 regulator. I'm sure at some point shortly after starting he'll want to go with more than one brew at a time.

I would have overlooked the fittings for the ball lock keg - thanks!!!

Tubing, swivel nuts, tap and of course the CO2 regulator...got it.

Thank you everyone!!! It will be a much better gift to have everything he needs so he's able to use it instead of waiting for a part or two I overlooked!

From my own experience, get the Taprite regulator. I would also get the Oetiker clamps (and tool) from Keg Connection instead of using worm clamps. I thought worm clamps would be better, initially, but the amount of cuts I got from them, and the fact that they are not 360 degree coverage made me change over pretty quickly. Now everything I use that is clamped, uses Oetiker clamps.

Make sure you talk with them on the phone because they'll do a good job of making sure you're not forgetting something, plus they can make sure it's as assembled as possible before shipping. Ben at KC was great to talk with

Make sure you talk with them on the phone because they'll do a good job of making sure you're not forgetting something, plus they can make sure it's as assembled as possible before shipping. Ben at KC was great to talk with

Yeah, the guys at Keg Connection will help you out over the phone without issue. I've called them enough times, either when I had a problem with something, or to place a special order (for things not on their site)... BTW, if you want something that other places sell, give them a call/email to see what they can do. Chances are, they'll meet (or beat) the pricing. I get all the fittings I use to attach ball lock posts to things from them. :rockin: Far better pricing than Midwest or NB. :D

Back