HOORAY for New Belgium!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished off a 12pk of New Belgium's Skinny Dip. YUMMY! Makes me want to play around with kafir lime. Anyway, half of the bottles didn't have labels on them. They had a little bit of glue residue, but no labels. In a previous life that would have annoyed me just a little bit, but in my current incarnation as an aspiring homebrewer I found it very convenient. Must have been a bad day at the label machine!

SenorWanderer said:
I just finished off a 12pk of New Belgium's Skinny Dip. YUMMY! Makes me want to play around with kafir lime. Anyway, half of the bottles didn't have labels on them. They had a little bit of glue residue, but no labels. In a previous life that would have annoyed me just a little bit, but in my current incarnation as an aspiring homebrewer I found it very convenient. Must have been a bad day at the label machine!

I had that once and wrote to them. They sent me free posters!!! I really didn't care either but why not get some free stuff:ban:

ColoradoXJ13 said:
They just released their new seasonal, called Mothership Wit, an organic belgian witbier, i'll try it soon.

Can't wait to see it. I am waiting for the annual Tour De Fat bike festival they put on. Will be here in Tempe in October. Had a blast last year!! Maybe they will be serving that one up?

I have about 20 cases of New Belgium bottles I use for all my homebrew. Great bottles - even use them for highly carbonated hefe's without issue. Hardest part was drinking all that beer inside them so they could be used for homebrew...:drunk:

I just bought a six of Mothership. It's not bad, but it pours REALLY clear for a wit, and it's probably the lightest colored beer I've ever seen. If you swirl the bottle at the end of the pour, as is usually recommended with a wit, you can get a bit of yeast into suspension and achieve a slight cloudiness. The aroma is definitely Belgian wit - yeasty with sweet citrus notes, but there is a slight stale note in the nose as well. The flavor kicks Blue Moon's ass (go figure), but the staleness from the aroma carries through just enough to make it only a good beer rather than a great one.

All in all, it's not bad. It's the best commercial wit from the US that I've had to date.

Sadly Detroit is not fortunate enough to get good deliveries from them. I think they just broke the Chicago market right? I'll get some when I can and will have to lust after/try to copy till they do deliver on my side of town.

Yuri_Rage said:
I just bought a six of Mothership. It's not bad, but it pours REALLY clear for a wit, and it's probably the lightest colored beer I've ever seen. If you swirl the bottle at the end of the pour, as is usually recommended with a wit, you can get a bit of yeast into suspension and achieve a slight cloudiness. The aroma is definitely Belgian wit - yeasty with sweet citrus notes, but there is a slight stale note in the nose as well. The flavor kicks Blue Moon's ass (go figure), but the staleness from the aroma carries through just enough to make it only a good beer rather than a great one.

All in all, it's not bad. It's the best commercial wit from the US that I've had to date.

I bought myself a 6-pack finally. I don't get that stale smell...I have heard though that the farther you get from CO, the more variability there is in the freshness of the beer. I think that NBB distributes all their beer in CO, so they are guaranteed that it stays cold the whole time, and is taken care of. I get the feeling that once it leaves their hands for other distributors, there are problems.

It does pour very clear for a Wit (compared to Hoegaarden for example) but I get a nice fresh nose from it, definitely taste the coriander and orange peel but they are not overwhelming. I like it a lot, very refreshing and tasty. It is actually very similar to the Wit I brewed a few months ago, which ended up strangely as one of the clearest beers I have ever brewed, although it is much higher ABV than mothership wit.

I think they are releasing their proprietary yeast strain via Wyeast's Very Special Strain series. Don't see it available yet, coming soon...

olllllo said:
I wish they would distribute thier sour beers. LaFolie is the bomb.

If you really want some, PM me and I can help you out.

Beerrific said:
I think they are releasing their proprietary yeast strain via Wyeast's Very Special Strain series. Don't see it available yet, coming soon...

The new Northern Brewer catalog has it.

Maybe its just me, but I just recently had a sixer of their fat tire, tripel and dark ale and I was unsatisfied with all three. The dark ale was best of the 3, but still not great.

seefresh said:
Maybe its just me, but I just recently had a sixer of their fat tire, tripel and dark ale and I was unsatisfied with all three. The dark ale was best of the 3, but still not great.

I've tried several of their beers, including the allmighty Fat Tire. I just don't get what all the fuss is about. The best part of their beer in my opinion is the easy-off labels. Different strokes, yadda yadda.

I don't exactly dislike their beer. I just don't consider them anything top tier.

I just got it monday or so, it has a family sitting at a table drinking beer with a beer ninja lurking in the background, and some warning about how beer ninjas are not deterred by light, or something like that....I know it sounds like I am making it up but...

Back