your opinion on these stainless steel growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

favorite stainless growler

• hydro flask

• bräuler

• kegworks stainless growler

Results are only viewable after voting.

shipreck

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with any of them yet, but I do have a hydroflask on order. I went with the hydroflask because it's double-walled. It's pretty much the same price as the Brauler, but seems a lot better.

What's the appeal to a stainless steal growler? I don't get it, why not just an awesome glass one if you're going to spend that much money? Unless of course you want to take it in public and get drunk without anyone knowing.

I guess the appeal is that they look cool and keep it colder for longer. With the doublewall hydroflask, they say it keeps cold stuff cold for 24 hours and hot stuff hot for 12 hours (probably BS on those times). The reviews on Amazon are really impressive too with its 5 star rating. That's pretty much the reason I got it - I don't have to worry about putting it in a wetsuit or cooler to keep it cold.

I guess some people worry about dropping the glass, I dunno. Not an issue for me.

What's the appeal to a stainless steal growler? I don't get it, why not just an awesome glass one if you're going to spend that much money? Unless of course you want to take it in public and get drunk without anyone knowing.

Weight, thermal conductivity, chipping vs denting

Well, I guess all those reasons make sense. Call me old fashion but gimme glass. That said that hydroflask looks pretty killer if you wanna spend the cash.

The hydroflask looks cool but what's with the warning it might not hold liquids placed inside and might leak? Isn't that it's purpose?

Second paragraph under Product Description:
Hydro Flask cannot guarantee against spillage with carbonated beverages and with other liquids placed inside of Hydro Flasks.

Second paragraph under Product Description:
Hydro Flask cannot guarantee against spillage with carbonated beverages and with other liquids placed inside of Hydro Flasks.

It's probably just a CYA. 5/5 star average review on Amazon and a guarantee. If it didn't hold liquids, people would post bad reviews and return it.

I've got one and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't buy it again. Don't get me wrong it's a nice product, but not at all conducive with beer, they don't seal perfectly so if you're not drinking it quickly you will lose carbonation. I end up using it as a big water bottle at work more than anything. The double wall is nice but creeping it cold for 24 hrs is a load of bs... My 2 cents

I've got one and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't buy it again. Don't get me wrong it's a nice product, but not at all conducive with beer, they don't seal perfectly so if you're not drinking it quickly you will lose carbonation. I end up using it as a big water bottle at work more than anything. The double wall is nice but creeping it cold for 24 hrs is a load of bs... My 2 cents

Thanks for the review. Gizmodo did a little test if anyone else is interested...the 24hrs thing is BS, but it does keep cold/heat well: http://gizmodo.com/5941453/hydro-flask-vacuum-insulated-growler-review-big-cold-beer

The hydro flask is the only one that's insulated in any way. That's quite a selling point but if the cap won't hold against CO2, there's not much point.

Here's another cool looking stainless steel growler from Deep Wood Brew Products.

Stainless Steel Growler - mini keg
stainless-steel-growler-2l-mini-keg.jpg

I've never heard of a stainless steel growler, but if you made say a 2qt model that's pressureworthy you could probably sell it for a good bit of scratch to homebrewers. A set of tiny portable minikegs? Awesome.

I got one of these (almost the same thing as the hydroflask)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZMICOY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

and it is pretty decent. I drove 3 hours in California central valley heat (90-100*), arrived to find that my recovering alcoholic uncle in law was there so i could not pour, stayed a few hours and then drove back. Overall after ~10 hours in a car at that heat I was stoked that it was still cold when I got home. lost a little pressure but I kept it upright in the car so it would not leak liquid.

Overall, it is nice to have when I go to the beach/river/park where glass is not allowed and works pretty decently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my 50/50 double wall Stainless steel growlers.
I have two black ones and I have just ordered two shiny stainless from "the clymb" for ~$22 each.
They are unbreakable, keeps cold & hot stuff hot.
I've made a cap that fits with a gas post so I can carbonate in them.
So far I can't say a single negative comment on the 50/50 SS growlers.

FYI: amazon has the Lifeline 50/50, 7500 Silver Stainless Steel Growler - 64 oz. Capacity ~$24

I have the lifeline 40 oz growler. It's awesome! I want another bigger one too..

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've got one from the brewing network that I love. No real chance of breakage, holds carb longer than glass, it's insulated...far superior to standard growlers, but at a cost.

Latest posts

Back