My Weldless Build Using Strut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I acquired one keg just need two more they are hard to come by here in Baltimore . Ill post up some pics of the build as I go along .

Don't worry about a MLT keg right now. You can get a decent deal on the 10gal Round coolers. Build a good mashtun and you can figure out a cheap HLT option. It's super easy to add a burner later when you get the MLT keg.
After collecting my setup (2 Cooler+1 Keggle)....a heatable HLT is WAY more important than a heatable MLT. Take your time to find a kegs or save for brewpots.

I'm going single level, and probably sell my Cooler HLT off to fund some of the build. I have a 3rd keg for mashing, but I'm not intent on using it yet. I've got my strut bought and need to put in an order for the fittings.

I already have a 10 gal cooler as a mash tun I use for five gallon batches . I may have acquired a second keg. I also am looking into selling some equipment to pay for the build . I will probably wait until I get it close to done before I try to sell . I have to keep my pipe line going . I got most of the framing done today. I got more done than what's in the pics I moved inside due to the wind and cold . Ill post some more pics tomorrow when I finish all the framing. .

image-1003788264.jpg

image-1036570231.jpg

Hmm... now you've thrown a wrench in my plan... I see you extended the top rails to make what I assume is a pull handle! DOH... Now I have to consider that if I want to or not.
What height did you make yours (what's are the uprights cut to?)
My design looks pretty much the exact same as yours. Hoping to cut my stuff today.

Reaver said:
Hmm... now you've thrown a wrench in my plan... I see you extended the top rails to make what I assume is a pull handle! DOH... Now I have to consider that if I want to or not.
What height did you make yours (what's are the uprights cut to?)
My design looks pretty much the exact same as yours. Hoping to cut my stuff today.

Yea I extended the top to make a beer and recipe holder .or a shelf and put a heat shield up to keep my beer cold : ) . I just cut two pieces of steel sheet down and painted it for the shelf .The height of my stand was about 26" with the casters on . I cut my pieces to 17 1/4" . I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out so far . I'm sure once I use it ill want to change something but that's the beauty of making it from strut.

lpdjshaw said:
Sweet, thanks for the info and photos. Can't wait to get started with mine.

Yea no problem . Have fun building it and don't forget have a couple hb's during the build. Ill post up more pictures as I go along .

This is what mine looks like. I used 5' lengths for the length, 14" for the width, and 16" lengths for the height. I mounted my counterflow chiller on a hinge so I can move it out of the way when it's not being used. Both pumps are now mounted under the center section.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

marshallbeer said:
This is what mine looks like. I used 5' lengths for the length, 14" for the width, and 16" lengths for the height. I mounted my counterflow chiller on a hinge so I can move it out of the way when it's not being used. Both pumps are now mounted under the center section.

Looks awesome I have not decided on a ic or a Cfc yet but if I do use a Cfc I will be using the hinge idea. Great idea . I scored three kegs today I'm working on cleaning them up now .

marshallbeer.... Why wouldn't you mount the CFC vertically? That way it will drain out when you're done and unhook it.

Reaver said:
marshallbeer.... Why wouldn't you mount the CFC vertically? That way it will drain out when you're done and unhook it.

That's been a huge design issue I am having with my rig. I want it vertically mounted so it will drain via gravity but then the exit end is lower than the top of my fermentor. I could raise the height of my rig but then the top of the vessels would be at an awkward height. Or i could mount it horizontal and use a pump but I feel that adding a pump to the chilling aspect is asking for infection trouble (I know, I know people do it all the time and they pre circ boiling wort to sanitize the pump and lines but I believe it will be an issue for me. Just too many small parts inline for my paranoia to accept).

your cfc is already hinged to come out and away from the stand, why not add another hinge that allows you to extend the cfc up once it is away from the stand. so a horizantally moving hinge adn then a vertically moving hinge. does that make sense??

That's been a huge design issue I am having with my rig. I want it vertically mounted so it will drain via gravity but then the exit end is lower than the top of my fermentor. I could raise the height of my rig but then the top of the vessels would be at an awkward height. Or i could mount it horizontal and use a pump but I feel that adding a pump to the chilling aspect is asking for infection trouble (I know, I know people do it all the time and they pre circ boiling wort to sanitize the pump and lines but I believe it will be an issue for me. Just too many small parts inline for my paranoia to accept).

I think I'm gonna have to pump the wort through my chiller. I agree with your worries, but I'm going to gie it a shot.

What fermenter are you using that is that tall?

What fermenter ISN'T at least 20" tall?

Top of fermenter 20" tall on the floor (ale pale or 6.5g carboy) + 2" to create a drop for gravity + 8.5" for CFC in vertical position (which would mean you would somehow need to attach it to your stand at that exact height and not have to worry about the heat from the burners making your chiller melt) + 2" to create a drop for gravity + 18" tall kettle = 50.5" to top of the kettle.

50.5" to the top of the kettle for a single tier. That's a bit higher than comfortable in order to stir/add hops/ other activities in BK. Good luck pouring 20 lbs of grain into your MLT in a smooth easy to stir manner above the 50 inch top of your kettle. Maybe you are taller than me, but my armpits are around that height. Sounds weird but even 4 inches of height make everything more manageable. Having that tall of a set up defeats the WHOLE PURPOSE of a single tier.

However, if you have a 2 or 3 tier your mash tun might be over your eye level, (on a 3 tier your HLT will be over your head = INSANITY)

TerraNova said:
(on a 3 tier your HLT will be over your head) = INSANITY.

Amen, completely baffled by why someone would want 150 degree water that high... Let alone a stainless steel vessel. But, that's my opinion.

You don't need any height to account for the CFC. It does not need to be higher than the fermenter. You can keep your stand height like mine at 20", gravity feed down to the CFC on the ground, and it will flow up and into the fermenter above it. Unless you have major restrictions, all that matters for gravity is that the feeding vessel is higher than the accepting. Given that, the flow rate through my CFC is still too slow, so I pump through to my fermenter on the ground. Going to also start to whirlpool at the end of boil so I'm going to already have the cooling circuit and pump already plumbed in.

You don't need any height to account for the CFC. It does not need to be higher than the fermenter. You can keep your stand height like mine at 20", gravity feed down to the CFC on the ground, and it will flow up and into the fermenter above it. Unless you have major restrictions, all that matters for gravity is that the feeding vessel is higher than the accepting. Given that, the flow rate through my CFC is still too slow, so I pump through to my fermenter on the ground. Going to also start to whirlpool at the end of boil so I'm going to already have the cooling circuit and pump already plumbed in.

Thanks Gifty! I'm gonna do a practice run before brewing anways and I will see how it cools without a pump and make a decision there as to wheather I need to pump the wort through my CFC or if gravity should work fine. I do have a cheap false bottom in my boil keetle and it's worked well to filter out the hop gunk.

Yes, it CAN be done. I have seen it first hand.

But, it is a pain. Flow rate is slow and hard to adjust. And you leave any wort in the CFC once the feeding vessel is empty (lame on a small batch). I thought the whole point of building a rig is to streamline and make as many things as possible easy. Having the rig set up for efficiency is ideal.

marshallbeer said:
:(

Looks good!

Thanks Marshall . I got the gas pipe and valves screwed together . My best friend is a master plumber I'm having him come over and check it out before I fit it . I think it's good but I'd rather be safe when dealing with gas

image-3225445312.jpg

Thanks Marshall . I got the gas pipe and valves screwed together . My best friend is a master plumber I'm having him come over and check it out before I fit it . I think it's good but I'd rather be safe when dealing with gas

I like how you bolted yours together better than I did mine. May have to switch mine. Did you polish your kegs? I was going to but I decided against it.

I keep looking at this thread. My local Home Depot is 1.5mi away and they stock two types of strut and the last time I looked there was a selection of brackets. I just don't know which ones to buy to start assembling. I guess the best thing to do is cut the pieces and then buy the brackets to assemble. I just really hate making multiple trips even it is only a 3mi round trip:cross:

I keep looking at this thread. My local Home Depot is 1.5mi away and they stock two types of strut and the last time I looked there was a selection of brackets. I just don't know which ones to buy to start assembling. I guess the best thing to do is cut the pieces and then buy the brackets to assemble. I just really hate making multiple trips even it is only a 3mi round trip:cross:

I had a hard time getting the right brackets locally. The selection was limited and the parts were pretty sparce. HD/Lowes prices were pretty high for the brackets, bolts, and nuts.

I'd recommend getting brackets from http://www.strutchannelfittings.com. The shipping is free, the selection is fantastic, and the customer service is great. One of my shipments disappeared in transit. They sent out a replacement immediately, no questions asked. It never took more than 2 days to get my order.

I had a hard time getting the right brackets locally. The selection was limited and the parts were pretty sparce. HD/Lowes prices were pretty high for the brackets, bolts, and nuts.

I'd recommend getting brackets from http://www.strutchannelfittings.com. The shipping is free, the selections is fantastic, and the customer service is great. One of my shipments disappeared in transit. They sent out a replacement immediately, no questions asked. It never took more than 2 days to get my order.

Yep, agree, those guys rock! I ordered some of the wrong brackets and they not only refunded me but paid for the return shipping! I also wanted solid strut and got that from them as well. They'll even cut your pieces to length for no charge if you want.

marshallbeer said:
Did you polish your kegs? I was going to but I decided against it.

Yea I polished my kegs but I did not want a mirror finish I just wanted them to be easier to clean .

+1 to strut channel fittings . They have everything you need plus at a fraction of the price of hd or lowes . I did buy my lengths of strut from lowes though . I couldn't see having 50' of strut shipped .

I would totally agree with b-boy, lpdjshaw, and drewski.

I bought the strut channel from HD, but all the other fittings at the recommended site.

I drew out my design (just a rough sketch) to get an idea of the fittings I would need. I used the part numbers posted by the thread author. I ordered bolts, nuts, and washers in bulk packets. I received more than i needed, but it was also cheaper than ordering the exact amount needed. That put me well on my way for gathering the parts.

Good luck on your build.

Mark

Latest posts

Back